Cam socket

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Just wanted to ask Big R or Grasshopper a question about skydidgy boxes,Is the CAM slot a removeable job or is it inbuilt.
dave.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Cam slot is hidden behind a panel held with two screws (on the ones Ive seen)

So far there is no firmware in the receivers (and some people report that it may never be a possibility on the original four manufacturers - simply a minimum peacemeal requirement to conform with European legislation)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, as CH says, can't do anything with the cam slot and the Videoguard unit is embedded so can't do anything with that either. Perhaps it should have been a requirement that the CAM slot was proved to be functional.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ive seen commercial tenders for night Security guards where the working hours were not specified.

A bid went in successfully from one company and the guards started at 8am and finished at 5pm

Why should a CI slot have to be a functional item ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just me being idealistic CH, if something is required by law, then the law also should reqire that it be functional. The law requires motor insurance to legally drive a car on the UK roads, but it also requires that it be at a certain functional level. Any sensible receiver specification legislation would apply a similar rider to it's stipulations, but then who ever accused the EU of being sensible :)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A car is required to have an MOT after its third year for the rest of its life

Its supposed to confirm the general condition of the vehicle and siuitability for road use, but as soon as the car leaves the garage, there is no guarantee that the car is actually roadworthy.

Theoretically a motorcycle can be ridden into an MOT station and pass even though there may be no engine in the chassis.

Logic ? you'll try to convince me theres a need for politicians next.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, no. One strong leader like Ghengis Khan or President Blair should be more than enough :)

Rolf

PS. Are you suggesting that the digiboxes leave the factory with a working cam slot, but that it subsequently ceases to function?