Can I get any American or other foreign satellites in the far north of Scotland?

tommydog

New Member
My Satellite Setup
I am just exploring the setting up of a satellite. Thats why I want to join the forum
My Location
Scotland
I am currently looking into getting a satellite system, mainly for free channels, but I wondered if I would be able to get any of the american satellites in the far north of Scotland? I am about 8 miles from john o'groats, directly on the cliffs looking out to sea. Alternatively, are there any foreign providers that I am likely to get this far north, that may not be available further south in the UK? I am eager to know what may be exclusively available this far north and whether my location has any advantages in terms of coverage?
 
I am currently looking into getting a satellite system, mainly for free channels, but I wondered if I would be able to get any of the american satellites in the far north of Scotland? I am about 8 miles from john o'groats, directly on the cliffs looking out to sea. Alternatively, are there any foreign providers that I am likely to get this far north, that may not be available further south in the UK? I am eager to know what may be exclusively available this far north and whether my location has any advantages in terms of coverage?
you'd be better off with a MAG type, IPTV setup...
 
you'd be better off with a MAG type, IPTV setup...
why do you say that? Thats a streaming device, which needs a decent internet connection. The landline internet speeds where I am are non existent and a 4g antenna is the best I have for internet. Even then the speed it not great and it's the bare minimum I need for my work. A streaming device for TV is a terrible idea for my location.
 
i misread, i thought you wanted american content. there are lots on IPTV.

i dont know the answer - so i'll pipe down.
 
Not the least of your problems with a sat TV approach to try to get US channels that way will be the size of the required dish (probably in excess of 2m) and the effects of the high winds (=> high wind load on a large dish) and "weather" (rain, snow, salty air) in your location on the dish, motor & fittings (corrosion will be an issue).
 
I am currently looking into getting a satellite system, mainly for free channels, but I wondered if I would be able to get any of the american satellites in the far north of Scotland? I am about 8 miles from john o'groats, directly on the cliffs looking out to sea. Alternatively, are there any foreign providers that I am likely to get this far north, that may not be available further south in the UK? I am eager to know what may be exclusively available this far north and whether my location has any advantages in terms of coverage?
Foreign satellites yes, American direct broadcast satellites no. You wont get any US broadcast channels but there are hundreds of other channels going broadcasting in dozens of different languages.

The only channels you might find easier to get than down south are probably the Nordic beam services although most of those channels are secure encrypted.
 
why do you say that? Thats a streaming device, which needs a decent internet connection. The landline internet speeds where I am are non existent and a 4g antenna is the best I have for internet. Even then the speed it not great and it's the bare minimum I need for my work. A streaming device for TV is a terrible idea for my location.
thanks for pointing out that out btw, i wondered how IPTV worked....
 
Not the least of your problems with a sat TV approach to try to get US channels that way will be the size of the required dish (probably in excess of 2m)

The size of the dish is not an issue as I have plenty of space with 20 acres of land. I could even go for a much bigger dish if it would help? Would this be a viable option for american satellites, or would it still be impossible to get these?
 
even if you could get the sats, it will all be scrambled, unless you're after the USA feeds, but i'm sure its just not possible from UK.
 
Foreign satellites yes, American direct broadcast satellites no
Even with a huge dish? I have 20 acres of land here, so am not restricted by physical size.
 
Even with a huge dish? I have 20 acres of land here, so am not restricted by physical size.
Once space (and neighbour objection) is out the way, the equation is simply budget against return.
 
4m dish, raised on a 50ft platform? would that get any US sats?
 
Even with a huge dish? I have 20 acres of land here, so am not restricted by physical size.
I wasn't referring to the size of the plot - but to the fact that, in a location like yours, the dish, motor and mounting hardware are going to need to be very substantial (i.e. almost "professional/commercial standards") and thus costly and yet still likely to heavily affected by the weather
NB: even relatively small dishes (i.e. under 1m) here, down south, are often turned around on the mounting poles by the "strong winds" we can sometimes get - so think what 60-70mph gales might do to a 2+m dish in your location??

As Channel Hopper said "the equation is simply budget against return." - so will your hoped-for return be worth the necessary budget?????

FWIW, I would have thought that the IPTV approach might well work if you had a decent 2-way sat link to a decent IP - and be a lot cheaper!
 
why do you say that? Thats a streaming device, which needs a decent internet connection. The landline internet speeds where I am are non existent and a 4g antenna is the best I have for internet. Even then the speed it not great and it's the bare minimum I need for my work. A streaming device for TV is a terrible idea for my location.
Get Starlink internet service, a decent VPN and then subscribe to US streaming services.
 
Get Starlink internet service, a decent VPN and then subscribe to US streaming services.
Don't think starlink goes that far north atm.
 
4m dish, raised on a 50ft platform? would that get any US sats?


It is cheaper to rent land in the USA with an outbuilding and rig up a nice 3.0m Winegard dish for C-Band connected to a bank of PC's. It is easy to connect and control the dish and satellite receivers remotely, job done.
A 1.2m channel master dish will get quite a decent amount of Ku-Band content as well.


@tommydog
Check out the dishpointer.com website for your location. You can select the satellites from a drop down list and it will tell you if you have visibility from your location.
Theoretically, you might get line of sight as far West as 75 degrees. However, the satellite at that location is for South America with no European footprint beams.

In truth, there is nothing with USA based content until you get further West than is visible from your location.
You need to be getting into the 80's West before the USA content starts to kick in.
 
4m dish, raised on a 50ft platform? would that get any US sats?
Most of the American birds will be below the western horizon. Totally out of reach.

ISTR someone on this forum did get a few frequencies from one of the American birds from the far southwest of Ireland many years ago, but I think the channels were encrypted. I cant remember the exact details - it was quite a few years ago.
 
Most of the American birds will be below the western horizon. Totally out of reach.
...
I thought that was likely to be the case but didn't say so because I didn't have the appropriate experience/knowledge! Therefore you have reinforced the point that the OP needs to set up an IP-based solution if he is to get access to the channels that he is seeking.
 
Well done all. Case closed.
 
Back
Top