can i get the Discovery channels in Cyprus?

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cytanet 1 meg b'band. sky + yet to be plugged in
My Location
Cyprus, Paralimni (east side)
hi, i have shared 4.2 m dish on apartments and subscribe to 2 sky packages, entertainment and news. i now want to upgrade and add the discovery channels and wonder if anyone can tell me if i would be able to receive these. i am in se cyprus, paralimni, near larnaca. i can get most of my package with the odd breakup of bbc and itv at night throughout to lunchtimeish.

thanks

daisyanne

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some of the Discovery channels are carried on the Eurobird 1 fixed beam. How successful is your reception of channels on this beam??

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sorry i dont know anything about eurobird. i just have a sky plus box plugged into the communal satellite and get the sky channels. i have added some manually like E4 and regional itvs.

daisyanne

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Click here top see the list of channels on Eurobird 1, which are you able to receive ?

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hi, thanks. I have been through the list and can get 11488 V 27500 2/3 (France 24 etc) and 11546 H 27500 2/3, 11527 V 27500 2/3. think i can also get 11508 H but it comes up with a subscription option so cant tell. also the irish E4 on 11565 V is very weak.

does this help?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Those 3 are all on the EB 1 steerable beam, so looks like you are out of luck.

Actually that doesnt surprise me, the fixed beam is better to the west of Europe (difficult in Cyprus)and the steerable to the eastern part (difficult in the Canaries)

However dont give up hope just yet, There a few Discovery channels on Astra 2A south beam 11876 H 27500 2/3 which may be in range for you. Give that one a try.

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I dont know if this makes a difference but when i entered the 11876 it does find the channels but obviously cant see quality as need a subscription. when i entered some of the other numbers previously, most came up as no signal found. do you think that cos it found them on 11876 (and the EPG) it indicates i could get them?

Sorry to be a pain. My last question - promise!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The epg stream comes of another frequency so isnt much of a guide. If you dont get the "no satellite signal" message then you are probably ok. We have several members and installer members based in Cyprus so it might be worth having a delve through their posts in the 28E Fringe Reception section. Iceman is one of the Cyprus based members and seems quite helpful

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hi!
tehre are aproximently 20 Difrent Disvovery Channel Versions in Europe,iam Sure,you will get one:)
how is the signal with your 4 meter dish in cypres,on 1w thor and 5w sirius?

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turok said:

sorry, but dont know what you mean!

Analoguesat,
thanks for the info i will do that.

daisyanne

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Turok said:
Hi!
tehre are aproximently 20 Difrent Disvovery Channel Versions in Europe,iam Sure,you will get one:)

It is a communal dish Turok, don't think the neighbours would appreciate it being moved. :)

p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
_www.skycyprus.com
offer a 4.2m dish, that says it gets it all, guess your dish set up was done by them?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
daisyanne said:
hi, i have shared 4.2 m dish on apartments and subscribe to 2 sky packages, entertainment and news. i now want to upgrade and add the discovery channels and wonder if anyone can tell me if i would be able to receive these. i am in se cyprus, paralimni, near larnaca. i can get most of my package with the odd breakup of bbc and itv at night throughout to lunchtimeish.

Hi daisyanne
Sounds like the shared 4.2m dish is not functioning as it should do..Normally you shouldn't have any breakups on BBC/ITV channels 24/7,but this is a common problem caused from poor installation.
As for Discovery channels,you will not have any problem receiving them because these channels are available even on a 1.8.m dish in Cyprus.
To test,go to these channels and check what you get on the screen...If it says call such and such number to upgrade your subscription you are OK....If it says "No satellite signal is being received" don't bother upgrading your subscription,but this is unlikely to be the case.