Can I stream BBC HD to PC?

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic motor, Zone 2 dish and Touchbox3 receiver; DM500S; motorised SS2; Maplin satellite suitcase for travels
My Location
S W Wales
Hi guys
I've got the FTA streaming from my DM500s (with Gemini 3.20maxvar) to PC working well now - using webxtv and vlc

Can anyone tell me if I can get the same results with BBC HD, please? At the moment - I can't even find the BBC HD channel on the DM500 listings. Assuming I could find it - maybe it's a data stream or something else? - can the DM500 stream it to the PC so that I can watch at the desk? The PC is more than able to handle HD

I'm sure that I've read something about this before - but have searched everywhere without luck
TIA
rparkera

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The PC is more than able to handle HD

You must have one hell of a PC. I've seen report of 4ghz PCs and the latest coreAVC codec having problems.

Do a search on daftgrab and you'll find some of my old posts. BBC HD shows up as a data service in the channel list.

newty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025-S
Gemini 2.3
CCcam 1.7.0
My Location
UK
I can find BBC HD, what about the other HD channels Sky One HD etc? I know the frequencies (Lyngsat) but a manual scan finds nothing?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Add them manually if the scan doesn't find them (using the lyngsat info).

If you're already watch BBC HD on your PC via a Dreambox perhaps you can tell the OP what software you use?

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic motor, Zone 2 dish and Touchbox3 receiver; DM500S; motorised SS2; Maplin satellite suitcase for travels
My Location
S W Wales
Thanks guys - appreciate the fast response.

I got a new core 2 duo recently with a good graphics card - I live in hope it's good enough mhku!

Found draftgrab etc. and installed - also found the BBC HD service amongst the data stuff. Thanks for those.

Daftgrab worked find on SD services - but no joy with BBC HD (or any other data channel that I tried). mplayer just hung or crashed or says "Cannot render the file"

I also noticed that I can't record the stream either. After clicking the red record button on the enigma web interface, the red recording dot appears in the usual place - but there is no recording in the dreambox folder. What does appear there is a .ts file named after the last TV channel I was watching via Enigma but with a file size of 0kb

I am thinking that this may be something obvious I got wrong guys - any ideas?

Cheers
rparkera

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You could try the HD version of VLC player. If you make a .m3u file (you can do this with daftgrab) and then open it in VLC player it will open the stream (but you may need to configure VLC first).

VLC has lots of config options.

jagost02

Single
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Yamaha YZF-R1
My Location
North of the Tejo & South of the Thames
Guys,

The codec may be the problem. I'm looking into this now. I'll let you know my findings... if any ;)

Regards,
Jagost02

witchy2k1

Reaction score
Results on a AMD64 3800 are dissapointing, I get a picture in glorious HDTV but it displays as more or less a slide show with short periods of fluid action.

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S W Wales
Thanks witchy2k1
Sorry to hear that you're not getting great results.
Can you run through how you have things set up right now. As you will see from my OP - I haven't even managed to get as far as you yet!
Cheers mate
rparkera

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you got the coreAVC codec?

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S W Wales
Thanks mhku - good point.

Their site has been out of action for a few weeks; some problem with version 1.3 it seems according to their forum. I bought an earlier version but lost it in a PC upgrade. Will wait and see ...

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S W Wales
Thanks again for your help most appreciated. Made some progress - good quality playback of MPEG4 now using core AVC - settled on 1.2. Still no joy with the streaming. Am experimenting with different options - though there are a lot!
Daftgrab now throws out this message - I wonder if the problem is in the way I have set things up at the DB500 - the SD channels are all fine though.
Best wishes
rparkers
433914492_c1f5054cb3.jpg

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Maybe try VLC instead of Daftgrab.

Can't read your image include- make it bigger (said the Bishop to the cjoirboy).