Can I turn off new-card message?

Eccles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Digibox
My Location
Shropshire, UK
For the last couple of days on Fiver and Five US I've been getting the on-screen message telling me I will be losing the channels if I don't get the new viewing card, but I've no intention of forking out 20 quid for a couple of channels I seldom watch!

What is really annoying, though, is that I'm also getting a message "For your information" telling me I need a new card even on the channels which aren't affected. This is irritating when you're watching - you just have to hit the 'Back' button of course - but it makes recording anything on any channel a total waste of time.

I turned off 'Message Alerts' in Services>Picture Settings, but this has had no effect whatsoever. Does anyone know if the messages can be turned off, or how long they will continue?

Will any other channels be disappearing without the new card?

Eccles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Digibox
My Location
Shropshire, UK
For the last couple of days on Fiver and Five US I've been getting the on-screen message telling me I will be losing the channels if I don't get the new viewing card, but I've no intention of forking out 20 quid for a couple of channels I seldom watch!

What is really annoying, though, is that I'm also getting a message "For your information" telling me I need a new card even on the channels which aren't affected. This is irritating when you're watching - you just have to hit the 'Back' button of course - but it makes recording anything on any channel a total waste of time.

I turned off 'Message Alerts' in Services>Picture Settings, but this has had no effect whatsoever. Does anyone know if the messages can be turned off, or how long they will continue?

Will any other channels be disappearing without the new card?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A pain, isn't it!

It went on for about three weeks for me, around two months ago - then my Card died.

I also declined to buy a new one, but (qv another Thread), They wrote to me last month and offered me a free replacement (now received) even though mine was five years old and didn't meet the published criteria.

So just wait and see ................ :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A pain, isn't it!

It went on for about three weeks for me, around two months ago - then my Card died.

I also declined to buy a new one, but (qv another Thread), They wrote to me last month and offered me a free replacement (now received) even though mine was five years old and didn't meet the published criteria.

So just wait and see ................ :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum.

Afraid not, the message cannot be removed and is sent in the data stream. Pulling the card out will prevent the message from appearing.

Without a card: Sky3, fiver/+1, five USA/+1, ITV sub regions and C4 +1 I believe.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum.

Afraid not, the message cannot be removed and is sent in the data stream. Pulling the card out will prevent the message from appearing.

Without a card: Sky3, fiver/+1, five USA/+1, ITV sub regions and C4 +1 I believe.

Eccles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Digibox
My Location
Shropshire, UK
Thanks Gordon and Paul. I'll live in hope of an offer of a free replacement, Gordon, but I'd probably better not hold my breath! If those are the only channels I'll lose without a card, Paul, I'll pull the card now. I'm pretty sure there were a lot more when I bought my present card 3 or 4 years ago, including Five, which isn't available on analogue locally.

Eccles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Digibox
My Location
Shropshire, UK
Thanks Gordon and Paul. I'll live in hope of an offer of a free replacement, Gordon, but I'd probably better not hold my breath! If those are the only channels I'll lose without a card, Paul, I'll pull the card now. I'm pretty sure there were a lot more when I bought my present card 3 or 4 years ago, including Five, which isn't available on analogue locally.