CanalDigitaal card environment/activation

DonCorbata

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am in the process of setting up a very ordinary Dish and Receiver to get the CanalDigitaal packages.
My Location
UK but objective is a setup in Holland

Who knows the answers?

I would not want to ask anyone to help me do anything illegal, so I ask you to believe that:- 1a) While in Holland, I want to use Hardware bought in England which will allow me to both 1b) Activate and ReActivate the CanalDigitaal card –which I already have – and, 1c) to receive their channels.

2a) Hardware. Canal Digitaal approve/recommend various receivers but I think I can buy much cheaper in England if I can find out the specification (not the manufacturer/version number) of (the Receivers if relevant?, and) the CAM which must be used. Can anyone please tell me what the specification is? Do I need a Cam, will a Common Interface card slot not suffice? What is ‘Seca’? What is ‘Seca/Mediaguard’
Can anyone recommend any makes available in England?

2b) The CanalDigitaal Card. The card I have was bought in Holland in the normal way. Various attempts were made, almost certainly using unsuitable hardware, to Activate the card. Then, in desperation, we tried to ReActivate the card. Activation and ReActivation attempts were done using SMS texting in Holland – but as stated the card was almost certainly in the wrong hardware. A random attempt using the Internet (again from Holland) responded that ‘the card is already activated’. Can anyone explain the precise process – not what the user is supposed to do in a perfect world – I want to know how the card Activation/ReActivation is handled by CanalDigital when things have not worked, as in the above? What is the status of the card as far as their system is concerned? How do I make a clean start again after I have sorted out the hardware questions?

2c) The Hardware solutions I want must end up with me being able to receive the chosen ‘packages’ which will be paid for regularly from a Dutch bank account. But most importantly, the final solution must also enable me to ReActivate the card, via a simple SMS message, if I miss the monthly CanalDigital ‘code/encryption change’ for any reason.

Sincere ‘Thanks’ in anticipation.

PWH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Loads of stuff
I believe, (but I may be wrong that Canal Digitaal) have abandoned the SECA mediaguard scrambling system and are now using IRDETO, Therfore your card may well be active but there is nothing for it to do as there is no SECA data being transmitted.

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
There has been no mention of a change to Irdeto. They are still using Seca/Mediaguard.

A smartcard can only be activated in the correct cam and for this the recevier needs to be switched on for the card to catch the 'activation'.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
PWH said:
I believe, (but I may be wrong that Canal Digitaal) have abandoned the SECA mediaguard scrambling system and are now using IRDETO, Therfore your card may well be active but there is nothing for it to do as there is no SECA data being transmitted.
it's quite the opposite :cool:
Canal Digitaal currently uses both Irdeto2 and Seca2, but new cards are Seca2 only. They have already stated that new channels offered thru their services may not be Irdeto2 coded any more, and they are urging everybody to change over to Seca2 if possible. It is thought that they will abandon Irdeto2 at some point in the future.

About the hardware point, you obviously need a Irdeto2/Seca2 receiever or CAM, depending on what type of card you have, or a dreambox which works well also. To get a card you need a Dutch address & bank account. Activation or re-activation can be done using the internet. If really in trouble, you need to phone a 0700 number which is not reachable from abroad. And their support is really lousy.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Hi Douglas,

Although canal digitaal state on the form that you must activate over the phone you can also do it online. The online service is probably newer that the form.

I don't think that it will be a problem trying to activate the card in the wrong hardware, the card will not be activated thats all. Don't forget that Canal Digitaal guarentee the cards and are very good when it come to replacing them which is free of charge. So don't worry about activation problems.

First thing to do is to sort out your hardware.

Once you have the right hardware and have it tuned to BVN on Astra 1 you can then tune into Nederland 1 or RTL 5 and try the active a new card option (Activatie nieuwe smartcard) on the Canal Digitaal website:

http://www.watchus.nl/default.asp?id=301

If that fails try reactivate smart card (Heractivatie bestaande smartcard):

http://www.watchus.nl/default.asp?id=302

I am confident that one of these two options will sort out the activation problem.

Btw. Canal Digitaal send out the update keys around the last/first weekend of the month. I never leave my box on when I am not using it but it always picks up the update.

Topfield make great receivers, if you can stretch to a PVR version with hard disk I would recommend it. This allows you not only to record to hard disk but also pause and/or rewind live TV and even start recording a program from the beginning even if you have already watched the first half. I also cannot fault the Aston 1.07, it works perfectly in the Topfield 4000PVR I use, Aston update the firmware when needed and it never missed the monthly keys update. I have also had several firmware updates from Topfield with various improvements to the user interface along with sound improvements etc.

Just to recap:
1. Buy your receiver and Aston 1.07 CAM
2. Set up your dish to point to Astra 1 at 19.2 degrees east, tune the receiver to BVN to check that you have a good signal.
3. place the CAM into one of the Topfields CI slots and place the smart card into the CAM (chip facing up)
4. Tune to Nederland 1, SBS6 or RTL 5
5. If you don't get a picture but an error message then go online and try to ' activate a new card' . make sure when you do this that the receiver is turned on and tuned to one of the channels i mentioned in step 4.

http://www.watchus.nl/default.asp?id=301

6 if activating a new card fails then try reactivating an esisting card:

http://www.watchus.nl/default.asp?id=302

Within a few minutes depending on how busy the sytem is the picture should come on.

7. Fill in and post the registration form and send it off.

Don't forget, CanalDigitaal will send you a new card free of charge if you cannon get it to activate as long as you subscribe to at least the set-top-box package (now 39,95 per year).

i will also place a copy of this e-mail message in the forum topic containing your original question as it may be of interest to other members.

All the best,

Chris

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
What is the latest news on the Canal Digitaal FTV/Solus Card which is like its Sky counterpart for Holland. Are they still gettable for UK residents and what price and the channels available in the present time?

Shahid

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
As of May 2006 Canaldigitaal have changed the FTV package, it now contains only NED1, NDED2 & NED3. For RTL4,5,7, SBS6, NET5 & veronica you need at least the settop box package which now cost Euro 39,95 per year (up from Euro 15,- two years ago). I don't know about availability outside of the Netherlands, the price here is 65-75 euro's for the card plus suscriptions charges.