2GB Memory
Technotrend 3650 CI DVB-S2
Compro 350 DVB-S
Hauppauge 900 DVB-T
NVIDIA GeForce 7600
And this doesnt' work the way I want it too. :(
My Location
Scotland
I have a CAS 3 programmer with USB and Serial connections. In my PC I have a DVB-S (Compro 350) card. Which does not have a card interface.

Is it possible to use the CAS 3 programmer as a card interface, i.e. insert my T-Rex cam into the CAS 3 to view channels.

mickey

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD - Sky HD Subscription, Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card.
My Location
East Anglia
Yes,

If I remember correctly you need to use the serial connection to do this though and set it up in CAS Studio (not sure but think 3.68 MHz?? Anyone know for sure?)

I was considering the same a while ago and was not able to use as didn't have serial connection on my new motherboard. I am looking into what smartcard reader to get instead now.

moojuice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AZBox Premium HD+, Fortec Star FS-4200, Comag SL30/12,
Triax TD110 dish, Jaeger99 motor (modified for inclination - 12" superjack), AzureWave AD-SP400 PCI card (Twinhan thing), Satlook Colour HD meter
My Location
Southampton, UK
If your PC doesn't have a 9 pin RS232 serial port on it, surely one of these would do the job?
_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29968

I've never used a card programmer before, so I couldnt say how compatible these are with USB to serial adaptors (drivers wise), but it might be worth a go?

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
It is possible to use the CAS 3 serial interface to 'debug' a CAM. I've only used it to bring up the CAM menu so far, but it should support all it's functionality.

With regards to USB-Serial converters, these do not always work as they should. It depends on the usage of the serial connection. When you're streaming data, there shouldn't be an issue. But sometimes there's extensive usage of the control pins and then the latency of the converter can be an issue and bring performance to it's knees completely rendering it unusable in some usage scenarios.

An alternative way to use subscription cards is to use a CAM emulation (i.e. Poor Man's CAM 2 _http://joshyfun.peque.org/PMCAM2/index.html) together with an USB card reader like the Infinity USB unlimited ( _http://www.infinityusb.com/ ).

torusJKL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S. HTPC with Sky Star HD Card. Viaccess CAM for Swiss channels on Hotbird 13E.
My Location
Israel
jsimo01 said:
If I remember correctly you need to use the serial connection to do this though and set it up in CAS Studio (not sure but think 3.68 MHz?? Anyone know for sure?)

I activated Phoenix at 3.68 MHz. But the programs I have used so far (DVBDream, ProgDV:cool: did not recognize any CAM.

How can I connect Cas to the DVB Program?

Thanks!