Not open for further replies.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Looking at the second pic: have you bolted it to the back of your car?? :D
oooohhhh like a mobile sat truck :) but seriously the 5 inch diameter pole is 4.5 feet in the ground in a 2 foot diameter hole. it took 35 bags (each bag is 30kg ) of cement to fill around the pipe. So the pipe is sturdy 5mm thick wall. I also ran steel cables bolted to the roof rafters and bolted to the pipe to stop the dish wiggling around in the wind when pointed to ku sats.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Absolutely loving that install, I hope those rafters are securely fixed as well! :) Do you need any local planning consent or similar in your neck of the woods? We would not be able to get away with that size setup in the Uk, too much bureaucracy and officious little hitler types in their bloody hi-viz jackets.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Do you need any local planning consent or similar in your neck of the woods?
I am quite lucky in that my city hasn't banned dishes over 1 meter completely. They just have to be in a side or back yard not directly in a front yard. I did have to get a permit from the city.
some cities in Canada & the USA have banned them due to them being perceived as an "eyesore" :mad:.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I am quite lucky in that my city hasn't banned dishes over 1 meter completely. They just have to be in a side or back yard not directly in a front yard. I did have to get a permit from the city.

Let's hope it stays that way :D

Some more pictures would be nice, if possible.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
001.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg View attachment 68338 View attachment 68339 11.jpg 012.jpg

for Riverblue here are some more pics:

1 is the utility box containing the 4 in (2-c/2-ku lnb) 8 output multiswitch
2 is the 36v Von-Wiese actuator
3 is the current view of the southern sky
4 is the chaparral combo c/ku feedhorn (2-ku band/ 2-c band lnbs inside cover)
5 is the repainted CM logo
6&7 are the dishes previous view of the southern sky - see why I needed to move it
8 is a picture of the 2x5" u-bolts going to a metal plate inside which is bolted to the rafters

I painted the dish manufacturers name on the feedhorn cover to brag about it :)

can I post a live link to a u-tube video I shot with my phone? ( of the dish moving west from 30w to 119w)

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
can I post a live link to a u-tube video I shot with my phone? ( of the dish moving west from 30w to 119w)

Yes - that isnt a problem :)

Just paste the complete link in - the forum software will do all the embedding

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
here's the video of the dish moving (apologies for the motion - handheld phone & no sound)

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
Gotta love those VonWeise jacks, I have 2 of them also. Awesome job on the dish, where in Ontario?

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
for Riverblue here are some more pics:

Thanks for that :D

Love that combi Chaparral lnb! It looks like the additional bracing you added to the dish is different that your design as per earlier in this thread. I can appreciate the need for the steel cable bracing back to the rafters, you wouldn't want that "beast" whipping about in the wind :eek:

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Gotta love those VonWeise jacks, I have 2 of them also. Awesome job on the dish, where in Ontario?
Yes I wouldn't trust one of the newer brand actuators to move the dish as reliably & quietly.
I live in London. Its halfway between Toronto & Detroit USA.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
So following Vipersans lead I decided to name my sat dishes. I have 2 PF dishes the 3m CM & one 3m MZT dish from Yugoslavia which isn't installed yet. Henceforth the 3m CM will be known as "Elisha" for Elisha Cuthbert & the 3m MZT will be known as "Rhona" for Rhona Mitra. The male offset dishes .. the one currently installed will be "Winston" for Winston Churchill & the other waiting to be installed will be "Spock".

A

Anonymous_1

I have the same @ home ;), easy to add a second actuator for the Elevation . Controlled by the RC2000.

face_web1.jpg back_web1.jpg

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
As martin requested in another thread "Thank you beavs, anything really on the moving parts i am making my own mount as you know and anything to look at could alter my design, i also like looking at quality dishes so a nice front view would be nice and the LNB set up you have on big bro :)"

here are some pics of a CM polar mount for a 2.4m & 3.0m. first some nice pics of a 2.4m (not my dish .... fellow usa forum member's ) 8 foot Channel Master SMC back.jpg 8 foot CM Back.jpg how the back frame looks like on a big CM CM 3.0M 5- resize.jpg now pics of elisha with dish tipped full east for actuator winter maintenance WP_20141218_015.jpg how the back normally looks like. WP_20141218_016.jpg how my actuator is mounted View attachment 71114 my c/ku feedhorn with plated c band probes visible center tube is a standard ku band waveguide to connect to ku lnb probes. WP_20141218_008.jpg the back end of the feedhorn with my 4 pll lnbs (2c-band/2 ku-band)WP_20141218_010.jpg a front pic WP_20141218_007-RESIZE.jpg a bloody good thing I decided to do a maintenance on the actuator .... one or more of the gaskets failed with serious rust to the commutator & windings .... WP_20141219_003-resize.jpg its a wonder the motor ran with rust like that. so my spare actuator will be given an overhaul & put into service.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Many thanks beavs :), I will take a closer look in the morning.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
well I finally got my 3.0m moved to its new location in my side yard. it now has a much better unblocked view of the southern sky. I can view from about 30w to 117w.
View attachment 68156 View attachment 68157

Hi Kevin, how's she been holding up have you had any serious storms ? and how has she handled them please pal ?.

I love her sat up there :), shame I have to paint mine to blend in but its a small price to pay :).

I might paint my house instead to blend in with the dish :-lol
WP_20140917_003.jpg

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Hi Kevin, how's she been holding up have you had any serious storms ? and how has she handled them please pal ?.

I love her sat up there :), shame I have to paint mine to blend in but its a small price to pay :).

I might paint my house instead to blend in with the dish :-lol
View attachment 88483
hi martin :) ive been busy redesigning & reworking my home theater in my bedroom. my room is small so walking around my bed I always bumped my head against the surround sound speaker. so I had enough of that headache. the solution was to buy 4 bowers & wilkins in wall speakers. So wiring them up has been a lot of time since the walls are lathe & plaster. that's why I haven't been posting much lately.
back on topic :) There haven't been too many bad storms since I live in the city and my location is fairly sheltered. 90-100kmh winds max. also my sat dish pole is guy wired down with steel wire to the roof rafters (which have been reinforced & boxed inside to handle the extra stress). The dish hardly moves at all in these high wind events. I agree with you that having a good actuator helps. There seems very little slop or play in either the CM mount or Von-Wiese actuator. I don't have a ka setup on the 3.0m just c&ku but its good on both bands. I don't lose a lock on either band when the wind blows. I'm sure that the large amount of gain of the 3.0m gives me lots of margin.
I also have the main back frame and the glass dish secured with a safety steel wire in case either of them broke loose they hopefully wouldn't go sailing too far.

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
hi martin :) ive been busy redesigning & reworking my home theater in my bedroom. my room is small so walking around my bed I always bumped my head against the surround sound speaker. so I had enough of that headache. the solution was to buy 4 bowers & wilkins in wall speakers. So wiring them up has been a lot of time since the walls are lathe & plaster. that's why I haven't been posting much lately.
back on topic :) There haven't been too many bad storms since I live in the city and my location is fairly sheltered. 90-100kmh winds max. also my sat dish pole is guy wired down with steel wire to the roof rafters (which have been reinforced & boxed inside to handle the extra stress). The dish hardly moves at all in these high wind events. I also have the main back frame and the glass dish secured with a safety steel wire in case either of them broke loose they hopefully wouldn't go sailing too far.

Hi Kevin, sounds good would love to see some pictures of your home theatre as well has and when you have the time :), I am just building a summer house that will have a few gadgets installed on completion :).

That good to know, my dish will be at a similar height on a 6.6 inch pole and RSJ so I should be fine, if and when you get the time could you post a few pictures of the extra guy wires and safety wires in case she broke loose god forbid, no rush as and when you can, many thanks for the information :).

A

Anonymous_1

Hi Feedsat, what size pole is yours sat on please ? how's she been holding up in any storms please ? she looks quite exposed where she's sat ?.

The pole size is 1.80m .
No strong storm until now, I am not living in a wind exposed place, but an heavy storm can happens at any time of-course.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
The pole size is 1.80m .
No strong storm until now, I am not living in a wind exposed place, but an heavy storm can happens at any time of-course.
Thank you feedsat, what diameter pole is this please 4.5 inch ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.