Advice Needed Cheap LNB on large dish works

JamesSw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a 80cm dish and inverto black quad with a Freesat decoder and a i7 windows 8 PC
My Location
82 - Tarn et Garonne, France
Hi
I just did an installation in the foot hills of the Pyrenees and found a strange phenomenon. I usually use a 80 cm dish and an Inverto Black LNB here 100 miles north of the Pyrenees and get a signal quality figure of 13db on my meter for the UK beam channels. I installed a 120cm dish with an Inverto Black double and tried to point the dish for BBC 1 London and got nothing (2.5db) , I tried ITV and go to 7.3 db (it locks on 6.5). I then put a cheaper single feed LNB on and got 8.3db for both BBC1 and ITV.

I tried another 'good' twin LNB and another cheap single and the former didn't work and the later did

Can anyone explain why this is happens?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi, out of interest to me could you check the DB of each lnb you've tried and its positioning in the holder and the length of your cable run approximately please :).

JamesSw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a 80cm dish and inverto black quad with a Freesat decoder and a i7 windows 8 PC
My Location
82 - Tarn et Garonne, France
I can only tell you what I remember as the dish is 100 miles away -
Inverto black double BBC1 2.5 db ITV 7.5 db
Best double roughly BBC1 2.5 db ITV 7.5 db
Cahors single LNB BBC1 8.3 db ITV 8.3 db

I put the lnb in it's holder such that it gets the best signal
The cable run doesn't matter - I am plugging my meter into the LNB (First strike FS1)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Many thanks, cable runs can make a difference, if your testing close up with a meter you could well get a different reading at the end of the run, but I am not getting into a debate about this, thanks for your time and I hope you get to the bottom of it :)

A

archive10

Many thanks, cable runs can make a difference, if your testing close up with a meter you could well get a different reading at the end of the run, but I am not getting into a debate about this, thanks for your time and I hope you get to the bottom of it :)
Agree. I use an 8'ish meter cable to get some "distance" to the LNB when measuring.
It is also easier to wave a meter around on a ladder with a longer cable, as you cannot move your body around too much...