cheaper multiswitch warning.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
(IF ADMIN CAN MOVE MY MULTISWITCH GUIDE BACK TO A WRITE ENABLED SECTION, I'LL ADD A WARNING TO THAT TOO!).

After Handyman 44's problems (see thread below).

Note, cheaper multiswitches have worse specifications, most importantly lower terr-to-sat isolation, 23 dB maybe, rather than much better 35-40 dB.

(Also bigger insertion loss, though that's not so important, signal levels from a "communal" 60cm or bigger dish should normally be plenty high enough, for major boradcasters like Sky, Canal, etc, as long as you're not distributing a satellite outside it's main footprint!).

I can't say "don't use cheaper multiswitches", as they do work, and normally would be alright. But, if you've got certain types of terr to sat interference, then lower isolation offers less protection.

(other way round - sat to terr - is less important, as broadband interference at sat i.f. frequencies is extremely rare, hence it's difficult to wreck terr distribution that way round, although interference from nearby radio equipment can still disrupt particular sat channels).

It's possible to add filtering to aerials, afterwards, but this is usually passive devices, and expensive, so it's much better to have active filters - actually inside the multiswitch - giving much higher isolation.

I see www.cpc.co.uk have now started selling some cheaper multiswitches, with low terr to sat isolation (including "Centauri" brand, whatever that is!). Fine for consumer choice, but beware when buying, in particular check the terr to sat isolation figures.

With sat receivers, there's always bargains, but be careful when buying rf distribution stuff!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
THANKS, ADMIN, MUCH OBLIGED!

Return multiswitch guide to "read only" status, as/when desired!

Have added cheaper switches warning, Global products link, some extra fault finding stuff.

Balls to my "reputation", but we don't want any more people having a similar bad experience.