Cherry popped - teach me more

N

NOVICE

To my eternal disbelief, I have just popped my cherry in the card programming game with a Millennium 2000VX programmer and nothing has blown up and I have two cards pretty much working. Re Seca it was, in fact, a total success. After experimenting with about 9 different software downloads for my Echostar DSB2110 and AstonSeca CAM V1.04, I finally found the perfect solution (cf. Seca forum) - a download which works absolutely everything in Mediaguard on Astra and Hotbird, even the Chinese channel TVBS.
Viaccess was not quite such a soaraway success. I have a red CAM, v481, so I think I can only use Barracuda software. I have successfully loaded the latest version, only a couple of days old, and it works most packages that it should. There are, however, the following exceptions. On Astra, the Kiosque PPV channels do not work ; while on Hotbird, I am missing the HRTS, and nature programmes s_x-View and Satisfaction. I figure this is probably because they use more keys than most, but I have no idea about how to go about updating them. I presume you need some sort of editor, or remote update, but have no idea where to get one or enter channel updates in the programmer rather than complete hex files.
2old - you're not; with age comes wisdom. So if you know, or have got a link with the answers, lead me that way, m8. I wanna learn some more. I've posted an idiot's guide to using the Millennium for beginners like me in the cards and programmers forum, now I need the Idiot's Guide, part 2. Hotly to be followed by Return of the Idiot's Guide if Kevin Costner accepts the script - well, he ain't doing much else these days.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
feels good doesn't it...? :)

My advice on the problem you mention - that you are restricted to a particular fileset (in your case Barracuda) but the downloads you find don't open up the channels you want - is always this: save whatever fileset works and simply edit the keys & providers you want into the eeprom file.

There are many posts on this board describing in generic and detailed form the process of editing such files. The important thing is that you get the right editor for the fileset you are using - since typically they all have different layouts of eeprom file.

The editor "picbined" (latest version is 1.40 I believe) can edit a huge range of filesets. I've just checked and it does include Barracuda viaccess files. Download that at many sat sites (eg Phill's sat files at http://www.kelibia.org/phill/ )

good luck!
2old

N

NOVICE

2old, it does feel good - especially when nobody knows better how much of a technical cretin one is than the cretin himself. And believe me, I'm surprised I worked out how to turn the programmer on and off.
I've been back and downloaded the Barracuda again. This time it comes not with two hex files, but a bin and a hex. And I have no idea how to get two hex files to load into the programmer. I've read one of your answers to somebody else about a bin/hex converter programmer and stuff about dragging and dropping and all sorts of how's your father.
I've had a computer two weeks and I wish someone or manual or anything with this whole stuff would just say press this button, then that one, write it down and remember - instead of assuming you know all the steps in between every time. And by the way, I don't mean you. I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating and time-consuming as a moderator to face the same tired questions over and over. Just wish someone would post on some forum a step-by-step idiot's guide to doing the basic things: coverting bin to hex, using an editor etc SOMEWHERE!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
If you are unfamiliar with even the basics of computing then it becomes a very long guide indeed. For example, dragging & dropping - which you imply are unfamiliar to you - will never be found described in a satellite hobby procedure simply becasuee they are fundamental operations related to using Windows - nothing to do with satellites or even the related utilities such as hex/bin converters.
So you need to start off and read-up on some basic computing background I fear.

2old
PS: "dragging" is clicking something with your mouse and without releasing the button, moving it somewhere else on the screen. "Dropping" is then simply releasing the button. Whatever you moved thereby gets deposited at that spot on the screen. It is a standard Windows feature.
So you can for example drag the hex file from the window in which it is listed (or in which it is displayed as a file icon) and drop it onto the icon that represents the hex-bin conversion utility. That is equivalent to telling that utility to convert that hex file ino bin format.

N

NOVICE

2old, I greatly appreciate the advice. Okay, this is what I've done. I've downloaded the swapbinhex program. I've unzipped it, then dragged and dropped the icon for it (the way you describe) so it now sits there with my other desktop icons. I've also unzipped the Barracuda download, and dragged and dropped the eeprom file the same way to my desktop. There is an icon there for that too on my desktop now. I then dragged this eeprom icon (a bin file) onto the icon for the swapbinhex and let go. A new icon for the the eeprom file appears under these two as a result. I hope this is my bin converted to a hex as a result of all the dragging and dropping. But when I double click this new icon, window comes up and says this new icon cannot be unzipped by Winzip. What am I doing wrong?

N

NOVICE

2old, in case you weren't going to, ignore my last posting. Eureka! Just worked out what I was doing wrong. New icon was the bin converted to a hex. I just needed to drag and drop the new icon to my unzipped file, rename it and bob's your uncle card is done.
I love you 2old and want to have your babies . . . just as soon as I learn to enter keys in the Barracuda editor. Oh, and some surgical wunderkind invents a uterus transplant!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I should warn you: my first spawn were removed into care and I now live alone with just my methanol and a few dead sheep.

N

NOVICE

sheep can be nice; I seem to remember a Woody Allen film with Gene Wilder . . . something to hold onto. Baaaa!!!!!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Maybe this post should have started in the late night forum

Not sure which would turn you blind quicker

1) Shahids viewing preference
2) 2 Olds Methanol mix
3) A poke in the eye with a sharp stick

N

NOVICE

Hello Channel Hopper, m8
There's no doubt about that one. Shahid wins hands down - or is it up? I don't really like to ponder on that one too long. This posting was sponsored by KLEENEX.