Chippenham - Reinstall needed for Sky

marble

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I had Sky installed at my home in a conservation area. Unfortuantely the installer told the missus that the old dish (in a subtle place) was too far away and installed a new one which is visible for miles around. I could do with a quote/reinstall to a more suitable location. Chippenham (Wiltshire) area.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can't find any takers, I have to go and install a dish at my Brother's place in Corsham in the next couple of weeks , I could probably sort yours out on the way down. As a matter of interest, how long is the cable run from the old dish?

marble

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I reckon it's quite a run ... I think the dish needs to go round the other side of the house (there was a dish there before, but I'm not 100% about signal quality in that location). If it has to run round the house (assuming that's possible) then it's probably 20-25m.

If there was a place near where the dish is currently located but more out of sight then cable run/install would be much easier. However, I'd like to keep it as invisible from the road as possible to prevent annoying the neighbours. Unfortuantely, I know nothing about installing dishes :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
May be an idea to take some photos tomorrow of the new installation, the old dish and perhaps a screen shot of your property on our dishpointer widget with the 28.2 line showing. http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dishpointer.php You can upload them in a post as attachments.:)

marble

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks ... I'll take some photos tomorrow. I've done a couple of screenshots of the dishpointer - one showing the old location, and one the new. Unfortuantely, the new location is directly above where the cable needs to get to. The old location was nicely tucked away ... the house is on a hill and slopes down towards the west.

Attachments

• newlocation.jpg
    newlocation.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 35
  • oldlocation.jpg
    oldlocation.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 30

marble

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here is a picture which is looking back at the house from the 28.2 line (roughly). It looks like the Sky installer didn't have much choice of location for the dish, but I still have the problem that it breaks the rules of a conservation area (nothing breaking the roof slope). Adding in the rule that nothing is allowed on the front wall, my locations are severly cut down (the old dish is behind the big tree on the right side of the house and is probably useless).

The best option, assuming it's possible, is to mount it on the garage which is just visible on the right hand side of the picture. It looks like it might have line of sight and that would solve all issues with the conservation area rules.

Attachments

• S6300244.JPG
    S6300244.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 36

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm a difficult one, perhaps it could go on the chimney behind, it wouldn't then be seen from the road.

hondamt

Installer Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 7000/5000 Technomate 5300
Andrews 1.2m dish,Sky HD
My Location
Bristol
Hi,I cover the Chippenham area,give me a call if you need someone to come and have a look.
Martin.