Chris's Botched DAB Antenna

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Another fine job with cable ties ;)

Now receiving 3 different counties DAB radio :D

Bit of a botched installation; but I'd expect nothing less from me ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You must be at the top of a hill Chris.:)

DAB antenna should be vertically polarised, that's a horizontally polarised FM antenna, but at the end of the day if you receive all that you need then it'll do.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Get it mounted properly - zip ties can go brittle after a few months and can break with any sharp shock. That install will twist in the winter gales and it will break the ties eventually.

Im surprised you get such good dab reception off it - those circular dipoles are pretty poor performers.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
Hello guys, thx for the replies

In answer to your question, I am on top of one of the tallest hills in the county.. :D

I'm tying it more securely with anything I can get my hands on.. mainly tight secure wire watertighted with self amalgamating tape.

I'm just not someone who even has a drill, let alone knows how to use one properly :(

It's not ideal, but I'll do :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Good results considering it hasn't a frequency coverage for band 3.
Get yourself a single dipole dab _http://www.philex.com/parts/show/27889R

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
And I thought strapping a small TV aerial to a pair of Kirby extension hoses and then onto my bed with zip-ties looked daft!!! :-rofl2

Is that a cistern/tank overflow? If it is, and for whatever reason it starts flowin', your aerial's going to get pretty wet!!! :eek:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Can I also point out the halo dipole is actually upside down :-rofl2

Not a big problem, but the aerial cable sealing cap will leak water in and all the connections will go rusty! You might also get water running down the inside of your cable into your receiver! :eek:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
dvmedia said:
Bit of a botched installation; but I'd expect nothing less from me ;)

So all things being considered it would seem you know your abilities extremely well :cool:

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Self-amalgamated tape now.. And I've sealed the little box with the wire coming out of it with the same tape (thanks for the tip analoguesat :)).

(Also before amalgamating, wrapped some steel wire around).. given it a good yank and it isn't going anywhere

Attachments

• SQAerial 007.jpg
    SQAerial 007.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 63

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but as the signal is vertically polarised, you would probably get the same result by clamping the antenna straight onto the the overflow pipe.:), no need then for the supplementary bracket.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Silly question, but, did you try using the clamp to fit the antenna vertically straight off the overflow pipe without using the right angle pole?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Crisbe said:
Silly question, but, did you try using the clamp to fit the antenna vertically straight off the overflow pipe without using the right angle pole?

Isn't that what Rolfw suggested in the post he made 3 hours prior to yours?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Topper said:
Isn't that what Rolfw suggested in the post he made 3 hours prior to yours?

Hey, it's an FM omni.

To get DAB from three different counties it shouldn't be directional in any plane, so it's fine as it stands- horizontal works.

I would normally question the colour choice of cable, but then you are on a budget.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
I would normally question the colour choice of cable, but then you are on a budget.

It would be nice if they made Tan or Brick Red cables, seeing how there aren't that many Black, Brown or White houses... :-rofl2

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Guys, Topper is quite right, my question was basically the same as Rolfe's. It is my fault, I did not phrase my question clearly enough. What I was trying to ask was if he had tried fitting it that way in the first place and for some reason had not done so. Unfortunately, my question did not come out quite the way I had intended it to, so it looked like I was suggesting the same thing that Rolfe had. Sorry Rolfe, no intention to steal your idea. Mia culpa!
Maybe I should have had that extra cup of coffee before writing my post!

By the way, if DVmedia sees this please, Chris please check my reply to your post of about two months ago, re the Nokia 9800S.

One again guys, sorry for the confusion.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sigh..

After much faffing about to get perfect signal.. Apparently the antenna gets optimal signal (full bars) and an extra 10 stations when just left on top of the recycling box...

Sigh again. But a little 'Lol' too ;) :-rofl2 :p

Attachments

• S8001107.jpg
    S8001107.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 66
  • S8001110.jpg
    S8001110.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 59

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Life is a bitch sometimes!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
dvmedia said:
Sigh..

After much faffing about to get perfect signal.. Apparently the antenna gets optimal signal (full bars) and an extra 10 stations when just left on top of the recycling box...

Which is fine except when you want to
1. Put something in the recycling box
2. Empty said recycling box :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
Which is fine except when you want to
1. Put something in the recycling box
2. Empty said recycling box :)

We're getting some (Gordon) Brown bins in September here in Pendle, so the recycling boxes, or at least one of them, will be redundant here... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
dvmedia said:
Sigh..

Just out of curiosity, are there any tins in your recycling box? They could be acting like signal collectors, so the moment you empty the box, the signal might drop... :eek: