Comag FTA Receiver

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The answer is yes, but the question should be 'when'

digimac_uk

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester
Hey Rai, if you're in Manchester I can reccomend a sound guy to carry out any sat related work for you, very reasonable and top quality, I've been buying off him for years, pm me if you're interested!

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
thanks digimac, it'd be nice to have good local contacts. please do pm me with the details. does he also sell satellite equipments?

I'm in favour of paying top money for top quality job (it works out cheaper in the long run) but first i'd be interested in the technical do-das meself (to save money in the long run).

Rai

silvernet

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
You'd be pushing it with a 60cm, an 80cm would be preferable, but as you'll be likely to pay £50 plus for a monobloc, it would probably be better to wait until you get a motor to consider Hotbird.

Let you in to little secret rolfw.. :) a good quality monobloc is only 32 Euros ..( about £22 ) in Spain... I know....I know..I'll get my coat.. O-Ha

An update on the Comag, I managed to upgrade the software to 4.23 .. Bootloader 8 today, links at the Unnofficial Comag Site. WOW, what a difference, it flys now. and channels open almost instantly with the Matrix R, oh and it seems to load channels faster. Its getting better all the time.

70 quid...with a 3 year warranty and 2 CI slots...Humax...Echostar...eat yer heart out.. :p Such a lovely " Lidl " box of tricks.. :-righton

silvernet

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
yeah I've upgraded to version 4.23 as well, wouldnt know the performance increase as it is my first FTA receiver but it looks sound.

Would be interested to know if anyone had tried powering their motor with its diseq1.2 (as it says on the tin).

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
You sound like one happy man, Rai.

Let me know how you get on with the motor. Hope to go down that road myself, if I can somewhere in this backward land that sells large dishes and motors.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Anything to keep this thread alive mate. :-p
You will all know when I get my motor, it will be a noisy one I can assure you.

Kobra

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Just spotted the Lidl website and the page

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20031009.p.Digital_Satellite_Receiver

It does have CI slots so any cam thats DVB spec, but maybe not one of the later generation home proggie ones

Interesting that their sales blurb mentions 'digital signals from any satellite on the Clark Belt can be received'. Strictly speaking they should have stated 'MPEG2' and maybe 'DVB compliant' signals as there is plenty up there that is just outside the scope of a set top box of this type

Hi, I just bought this receiver today but where are the slots? Are they on the motherboard? I cannot see anything that resemble a slot at the back of the unit.

Thanks.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Hi Kobra,
by the time you read this you've probably already found it.
I haven't seen the comag but there will probably be a pull down flap on the front panel,
and the slots will look the same as pcmcia slots on a laptop.
Good luck.

Kobra

Reaction score
Hi prof,
had a look but there is no flap on the front panel. The unit is from Lidl it look exactly as a Comag but as been badged as PORTY and is made in China. Any idea?
Thanks again.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Hi Kobra,
I've just found the "english unofficial comag site message board", which hopefully may give you some help with the receiver.
As for the c.i. slots, I really don't know if it has any, but I'm sure some-one else
who has bought one will be able to tell you. Good luck mate. Let me know how you get on.

http://com3.runboard.com/btheunofficialcomagsite.fmainchat%7Coffset=20

Kobra

Reaction score
Thank you very much prof, I'll keep you informed. Cheers

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
prof said:
Hi Kobra,
As for the c.i. slots, I really don't know if it has any, but I'm sure some-one else who has bought one will be able to tell you. http://com3.runboard.com/btheunofficialcomagsite.fmainchat|offset=20
I believe it's FTA only - certainly there's no slots, flaps or doohickeys that would allow anything CAM shaped to be plugged in. Of course, I'm a horrendous newbie who happened to spot the Lidl offer and decided to grab a cheap satellite system to experiment with, so I may have missed something... but I have had a good prod around at the box. :-)