Comparison between DM800 and DM8000

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
I would like opinions of people that have both a DM800 and DM8000. No need for the hardware differences as these are available everywhere.

What is of interest:

1. Reliability of the images at this time (I know they will get better for both).

2. Reliability of the various functions it should support e.g.:
a. Pause live TV
b. Recording
c. Reboots required
d. Hangs
e. PIP functionality
f. Recording while watching another channel(s). Is PIP still available(DM8000)?
g. Tuner sensitivity.

3. Any comments about the available software=images and plugins.
4. Picture quality comparison.
5. Sound quality and lip syncing
6. General usability

Comments will be much appreciated.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
Does nobody own both of these boxes or is there no interest in sharing.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I don't yet have an 8000 but I do have a few 800's

Great boxes, Nabilo image is the best (also used by most on the 8000)

No Pip on the 800 as it only has one tuner, meaning that if you want to watch one chan and record another you have to be on the same transponder (only about 4 or 5 channel choice).

Stability is perfect on my boxes all clones with heat-sinks, All 800's get a little hot, but you can get a mini-notebook fan cooler if you ever get worried.
pausing live TV works fine, just press pause.

Only hangs or hassle I ever get is if I try and use their update of the EPG function.

why I have worked around this by setting record for 5 mins on HipHop one a week at about 5am rather than zap once a week. I then just delete the file.

Also the 8000's have DVD Drives. And can handle multiple Tuners up to 4 for differing types of systems Sat - C@ble and Terrestrial.

plus it also has much more connectivity. look at the back of both boxes.

Now you need someone with an 8000 to give you their side.
Hope the above helps.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
shumifan50 said:
Does nobody own both of these boxes or is there no interest in sharing.

I do not think it is anything to do with not sharing, even to own one of those boxes you would have to own an HD TV, to own two well, being a hobbyists forum people quite frankly do not have that amount of disposable income assuming they have some income at all....

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I appologise if that sounded harsh. From some of the posts it seemed like there were a few people that actually had both boxes and their software comparison and general performance comparison would be very valuable. I also only have a DM800, but would consider a DM8000 later based on such a comparison.
Once again, Sorry, I did not mean to sound as it may have come accross.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
shumifan50 said:
Once again, Sorry, I did not mean to sound as it may have come accross.

No problem, you are correct someone making a direct comparison and posting the results would be good. I have to confess through that I thought they were generally the same stb except the 8000 had a fitted hard drive, I take it that is not the case!

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
Nope not the case both have Hard-drives, see my post about multiple tuners and slot for thin dvd or blueray drive. (however only dvd drive currently works, and even that has issues).

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Guys we do not want a hardware comparison here - that is available by looking at the specs at any website that sells them. It is the image support and general performance, which is not available on these websites, that we are after.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
I have both the 800 HD & 8000 HD.
I installed the HardDrive and DVD Player myself (came with the Box but bought separately) I don't know if DreamMultimedia installs them in the unit if the client wish so. Normally they just send the Box.

Now I would say that Image and performance wise both boxes are the same...they both have a very sharp and exceptional picture especially where HD content matters. They both take all the Images available (Gemini - Nabilosat - Milo etc.) What I have found out with the 8000 is that if you have more than one Image in flash, the Hard drive won't go to standby even if you set it for say 10 mins or whatever. With the 800 I don't know because I did not install one yet.
When it comes to recording with the 8000 its a beauty and to burn to Dvd likewise, although, with the latest Nabilosat Image....no Audio comes out...but this is something which the Nabilosat team have to look in too...when I reverted to the previous Nabilosat Image no problem was encountered at all. Believe or not the 8000 does get hot as well although its huge in size, but the heat dissipates quite well...the box having so much ventilation. The 800 on the other hand as everyone knows gets quite hot being so small especially if a HardDrive is added inside. The 8000 has the PIP facility as well. As regards hanging they both once in a while do it although I would say the 800 is just a wee more prone most probably because of being smaller and therefore more prone to heat up although I would think that in Northern countries this problem would be drastically reduced. But this definitely is no set back at all on the Boxes.

Tuner sensitivity is quite good and compares very favorable with any other box in the market (Besides these boxes I have a Clarke tech 5000HD Receiver renomated for their Tuner Sensitivity, and what I get on this box I receive with the DBs.

Having said all that I personally find these Boxes a marvel to behold and without any hesitation would recommend them to anyone.