Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
Complete newcomer:-

Hello,

I am a satellite-dummy. I have no experience but I'm keen to learn. I've been reading a lot of websites and forums and it seems that this is a good place to come for advice. I currently have an analogue system (let behind by the previous owners of my house). I now wish to move into digital and after reading I have an idea of a system that I'm interested in using. Any advice anyone can give would be very welcome (but please don't be too technical).

The system I'd like would look like this:-

Force Fronter 90cm dish with 4 LNBs pointing at 39°E, (28.5°E and 28.2°E), 19.2°E and hotbird at 13°E. I have an existing universal LNB from the analogue system which would be reuseable but I'm not sure what other LNB would be useful for the other 3 satellite positions. Would an Invacom 0.3 single be good enough and should it have an integrated feedhorn? (I'm not really sure what a feedhorn is yet but I've been reading about them).

The receiver I'd like is the Technomate TM1500CI+ which has had good reviews on here and on other sites. I understand that it can be patched. (I'm not sure what a patch is although I know its downloaded from the net). Is it possible for a I.T. novice to use patches or are they for experts only?

This last question is really basic. What 'add-on' do I use outside the wall of my home to ensure only one wire needs to go through the wall? If I have a system pointed a 4 satellite positions I guess I don't need four wires, and thus four holes, in the wall.

Any advice will be welcome. Please keep it simple as I really don't know even as much as this post would suggest. I have read a lot of terms which I'm not sure I fully understand (feedhorn is a prime example).

Thank you.

From Prague, Czech Republic

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can use a DiseqC switch (4 way) to switch the LNBs, it sits behind the dish. What do you want to receive from 28.2E, some of it may be a struggle with a 90cm dish in the Czech Republic.

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
rolfw said:
You can use a DiseqC switch (4 way) to switch the LNBs, it sits behind the dish. What do you want to receive from 28.2E, some of it may be a struggle with a 90cm dish in the Czech Republic.

Thank you rolfw for your very fast reply.

My interest in 28.2/28.5 is mainly English language pop for my two daughters. I'm after as many English language children's station as I can muster as I think it will help them develop their language skills. Both girls speak Czech 100 times better than they speak English. I can also get a few Cryptoworks encrypted Czech language channels at 28.5. I'm guessing that the same LNB would pick up both 28.2 and 28.5 (is this correct?)

I can pick up TV Pika at 39°E and I like the idea of some Greek/Cypriot channels (especially during a bleak Czech winter).

My interest in the Astra - Hotbird pair is perhaps more obvious given they are generally popular with satellite tv watchers.

I would have loved the BBC to use a wider beam. I feel a bit of discrimination on their part as it is easy to pick up the signals in France, Netherlands, Belgium etc. so they clearly have no issue with some foreigners tuning in. It is a pity they do not let us all pick up the signals so easily. Having CBBC and Cbeebies would have been a tremendous help for young language learners here in Central Europe (and this language learning is a major reason I'm getting more interested in digital satellite stuff).

I read a great review of the Technomate TM 1500CI+ and I think it will suit me well. I'm concerned about the patch stuff as I'm a PC dummy. Is it better to purchase a pre-patched model on eBay?

Thanks for all your time,

Prague68er

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
I'm likely to drop my interest in 39°E and point at 7°E instead. Is this likely to make an impact on my choice of components?

Prague68er

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi
I think that going from 28.5e to 7e is asking a bit too much for multi LNBs from one dish. I would recommend getting a good dish sticking it in the ground and playing with it to see what you can get. Then if you would like to pick up multiple satellites stick a motor on it. I know a motorised system sounds difficult but it's really quite easy.
It's also easy in the future to find new satellites as this technology is constantly changing.

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
The dish I'm looking at (Force Frontier 90) can pick up satellites over 40° apart. See this link which will explain better than I could.

That is one interesting looking dish, can you give anymore details as I'm sure there will be a lot of interested readers.

:-doh! Sorry Prague68er I have edited your post instead of replying to it.
Can you retype the bits I have cut out.
Once again SORR......................................................................Y.
Rob

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
rolfw said:

Hi again rolfw,

I have been reading about this DiseqC switch but I think I would need a 4X2 rather than a 4X1 as I want to supply signals to two satellite receivers. I have been searching for info on a 4X2 but I'm not sure such a thing exists. Is there another means by which I could get signal to two receivers?

Prague68er

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Prague68er said:
I can also get a few Cryptoworks encrypted Czech language channels at 28.5. I'm guessing that the same LNB would pick up both 28.2 and 28.5 (is this correct?)

Prague68er

Czech link will be ceasing off Eurobird 1 at 28.5E in the next few weeks - they are moving to Astra 3A, so you need to think about 23.5E instead.

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
Analoguesat said:
Czech link will be ceasing off Eurobird 1 at 28.5E in the next few weeks - they are moving to Astra 3A, so you need to think about 23.5E instead.

Thanks for the heads up Analoguesat. Joj and Očko are already FTA on 23.5E so I have something else worth catching there.

Prague68er

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Czechlink is now testing on 12525V 27500 3/4 on 23.5E

Prague68er

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Prague Czech Republic
Hi Rob,

The dish is a Force Frontier 90cm and it is touted as able to pick good signal from satellites upto 40° apart. I have found a retailer in Prague who offers a good argument that it is a viable alternative to a motorised system if you are only interested in four or five locations.

The design is toroidal rather than parabolic - the signals are reflected twice through a main reflector and a sub reflector. In Europe they retail for about €200.

Prague68er

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thanks for that Prague68er, as I said before I'm sure this will interest quite a few members.
Let us know how you get on with it. :-wave