Complete & Utter Newbie Needs Advice

houst69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax PVR
My Location
County Durham, UK
Hi guys, just joined the forum.

I am after some advice, I currently have a Humax PVR freeview recorder, which basically does what it says on the tin.

I have been told that the Dreambox is the way forward for viewing live football on a Saturday am I right?

Can someone please give me a rundown on what box I should be buying and what dish I should be looking at getting? Also any advice on subscriptions would be ideal

I would be grateful for any advice

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The first thing to decide is how much do you want to spend on subscriptions? Only then can we suggest a suitable receiver.

Basic 3pm football cards with one or two games start at 100quid ish.

If you want the best coverage then you are looking at a thousand quid a year - half as much again if you want HD!

These are amounts using a uk based reseller, its far cheaper if you have contacts abroad.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Hi welcome to the forum. The Dreambox is an advanced linux based receiver aimed at the enthusiast market, it is not for the beginner. However, if you're willing to read for weeks and spend the time learning about FTP, Telnet, images, softcams, networking etc etc then they are the way forward. It is not plug and play.

To receive most EU broadcasts you're gonna need a dish around 80-100 cm's with a decent LNB.
As for the box its totally down to budget. 50 quid get you a china clone DM500 , and a £1000 gets you the flagship DM8000. Simply google Dream Multimedia and check out the available models. Beware of clones, some people won't buy em, ( ME ) and some people will.
The most popular sub for 3pm footy is the prepaid Sly Italia Calcio card which gets you Sly Sports 1 to 3 and the Calcio channels. This is boradcast on 13e and easily receivable, expect to pay around £1200 for a 12 month sub.