Confusing signal issues

PAW Cornwall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm dish and wideband LNB
My Location
Cornwall
My Freesat 4k box has packed up completely (long and unhappy story), so temporarily I connected one of my inputs to an LG smart TV. It detected a signal, scanned and identified 186 channels but then says “No signal” on all of them.

I then dug an old Grundig HD box, plugged everything in and got exactly the same result. Plenty of signal, scanned 186 channels, then nothing. I checked the signal on BBC1 and none shows, so I did a rescan and ended up with the same result.

I’m at a loss to know what’s wrong and what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The LNB on the dish will need to be changed to a universal LNB - if it is a Sky dish then a mk4 Sky Quad Universal should be a straight swap. A photo of the dish will help confirm this.

The problem is the Sky Q 'wideband' LNB - it sends all the horizontal signals down one cable and the vertical frequencies on another. This enables Sky Q and Freesat 4K to record multiple channels simultaneously using 2 cables.

A universal LNB sends one of 4 groups of frequencies down each cable - horizontal high, horizontal low, vertical high & vertical low. The receiver choses which group of signals to receive by sending 13v/18v to choose polarity (V or H) and 22KHz on or off to to choose high or low band.

The TV and Grundig receiver require a Universal LNB to work, the Freesat 4K box is compatible with both types.

PAW Cornwall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm dish and wideband LNB
My Location
Cornwall
The LNB on the dish will need to be changed to a universal LNB - if it is a Sky dish then a mk4 Sky Quad Universal should be a straight swap. A photo of the dish will help confirm this.

The problem is the Sky Q 'wideband' LNB - it sends all the horizontal signals down one cable and the vertical frequencies on another. This enables Sky Q and Freesat 4K to record multiple channels simultaneously using 2 cables.

A universal LNB sends one of 4 groups of frequencies down each cable - horizontal high, horizontal low, vertical high & vertical low. The receiver choses which group of signals to receive by sending 13v/18v to choose polarity (V or H) and 22KHz on or off to to choose high or low band.

The TV and Grundig receiver require a Universal LNB to work, the Freesat 4K box is compatible with both types.
Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply. I was wondering about the LNB, but didn’t understand the mechanics. I only got the wideband LNB for the Freesat 4K box, and it worked fine until the box expired. I’ll swap the LNB out. I don’t fancy buying another 4K box, as I’m reading more and more horror stories about them. Thanks again.

CraigB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Starsat SR2000HD Hyper
Original Sky dish/lnb from around 1990
My Location
Sheffield, South Yorks. U.K
Hi PAW.

Strange, but i recently used my built in sat tuner on my LG tv, using the old Sky dish in my house.

It scanned I think 3 satellites inc Eutelsat and Sky and It found 647 tv chanells and 65 radio.
i watched a few chanells and went to bed

I switched on the next daty to find the "no signal" message and just thought it was down to a joint in the cable that I had to do to reach the tv.

Anyway, I am still going to sort out what the fault is. I'm starting with new cable and connectors, and using the same dish. I will hopefully update after the weekend when I get chance to get up the ladders.

Hopefully I don't need a new dish and lnb, but can replace them if needed.