Connection Problems

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Since returning form a recent holiday I have had the most 'orrible problems with my confuser.

I am on a dial up via an NTL Box and a BT Line to NTL as my ISP.

The problem seems to be twofold, but my guess is that they are are connected.

Firstly my connection seems to be dropping at the drop of a hat often I am only on-line for about a minute or so before loosing it.

Secondly the data when it comes down the line seems to be comming in batches of abot 10-20Kb.

I am getting an indication of up to 52K connection speed at logon,and when the data is comming down the pipe it seems to be at a reasonable speed.

Anyone have any ideas what might have/be causing this?

It is a real PITA at the moment, and will be even more so on Monday when I start back at work.

Kind regards

W. Hole

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Aagin

This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled my modem.

All seems to be Ok now.

So either - that was the problem, or perhaps the NTL Engineers came in this morning and fixed a problem they had over the week-end.

If anyone else is is on NTL DialUp, perhaps you could let me know if you had any problems last week-end [3rd/4th April 2004]

Regards to all

W. Hole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi WH, saw your post this morning, glad you've got it sorted. :)

Can you not get broadband where you are?

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello R

Thanks for reply.

Yes I think it is available, but it is a question of cost.

I pay NTL £15.00 per month for the Unlimited DialUp, but this includes my first £15.00 of 'phone calls, and as someone else pays for the majority of my calls, this means in theory that I get an unlimited DialUp service for free.

If I go to Braodband I guess I would have to pay the same sort of money, but of course would not get the 'free' 'phone calls.

I suppose it will have to come in time, butthere are a few other priorities at the moment.

Kind regards

W. H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at this new Carphone warehouse scheme, might reduce the cost.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello R

Did you miss off a link or something???

Kind regards

W. H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello R.

Had a quick look.

It seems to be 1p per min. for internet access, so I don't think it would be what I want, but many thanks for letting me know about it.

I have been lucky enough to avoid the adverting up till now, they must be targeting it at a different social/economic/age group.

Kind regards

W.H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Wasn't considering the internet access WH, but thought that they had a very cheap deal for normal calls, no point in moving to a different dialup account, as it'll still be slow.

The one thing i will say though, every single person I have spoken to who has moved over to broadband, even those who did it reluctantly because of price, have said that they cannot imagine being without it now.

No problems with being disconnected, no problems with the phone being engaged, the kids can stay on as long as they like and you can probably read 10 posts on the forum in the time it normally takes you to load and read one.

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
For £15 Tiscali do an anytime "broadband" service. It's not the usual broadband speed - it's just 3x normal dialup but you'd notice a difference for the same money. Of course it doesn't give you any free calls though.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Have to agree with Rolf about Broadband, I have just made the switch and I am amazed at the speed I get now ( and it was not that slow on dial-up).
Last week I down-loaded some updates from Microsoft which stated that they would take 2 hours and 36 minutes, all done in 10 minutes, unbelievable.