Convert Lpt1 To Com Port ?????

suzukibadboy

Reaction score
Hi , any help would be appreciated.

I AM hoping to update the software on my mascom 9600ci.

THE reciever has a RS232 PORT, BUT my laptop only has a parallel printor port.

I have been out and bought a parallell to rs232 cable from maplins.

When i got home i hooked it all up and put the reciever on standby.

The mascom software is unable to define the com port .

the mascom loader software only has com 1 com 2 com 3 com 4... no lpt1.
I AM RUNNING windows xp home from a ei systems laptop.

help !!!!!! the reciever needs new software and wont update via satellite update.

IS THERE ANOTHER LOADER PROGRAM WHICH CATERS FOR PARALLELL LPT1??????

help!!!!

thanks in advance

markhunter99

Reaction score
You'll need to go into control panel>system>hardware>device manager and locate the installed device. on the port settings i believe should be an advanced settings section. here you can select the com port. change it to an available between 1-4 and it shoudl work.

if this doesn't work, the drivers that came with the cable should convert it to a com port automatically. then proceed with the above procedure.

suzukibadboy

Reaction score
HI , there was no drivers with cable and i am unable to change the lpt to a com port.

the only options it gives me in device manager is lpt 2 0r lpt 3 or lpt4, but the loader software needs a com port 1,2,3 or 4

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
You could have tried something else if you have PCMCIA(cam) slots on your lappie. There's a PCMCIA card with a RS232 port on it.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you've just answered your own question... no COM port, no work. :(

I've just checked on my XP Pro, and there seems to be no way to re-allocate the parallel port as a serial port.

I take it that you have no COM port devices detected in Device Manager?

I also seem to remember that people have had the same problem with a USB to serial converter.

I'm sure that a driver could be written for Windows to do this, but have never heard of one. Can only suggest that you try searching for such a piece of software.

STICK

suzukibadboy

Reaction score
thanks !

is there a generic loader software program , then i can upload the mascom files to that ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I was just about to say that Jimbo's Idea was a great one, but it sounds like you need a new laptop!

suzukibadboy

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
I was just about to say that Jimbo's Idea was a great one, but it sounds like you need a new laptop!
THE PROB IS IT IS A NEW LAPTOP.!!5 X USB PORTS. NO FLOPPY , NO SERIAL RS232,

SO NOT POSS WITH GENERIC LOADING SOFTWARE WHICH ALLOWS PARALLELL CONNECTION?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
suzukibadboy said:
THE PROB IS IT IS A NEW LAPTOP.!!5 X USB PORTS. NO FLOPPY , NO SERIAL RS232,
Does it have lower case keys? :D

You could try a USB to com port cable. They are easy to come by but I don't know what the success rate is.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
Are you sure your lead is an lpt to com adapter - I suspect you have a 25 pin to 9 pin lead.If so it will never work. I suspect the USB to serial adapter might work. I have 1 and it set itself to com 4.

Neil