Couple of fried chicken recipes...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
First off, chicken wings, cos they're tasty!!! :D

What you need:
Plain flour
Chicken wings (sainsbury's do some decent sized ones for about £1.50)
Salt & pepper
Chilli sauce if you want them spicy
Milk if you don't
Bottle of Corn oil (doesn't leave the chicken tasting oily like other oils)

How to make:
First off, split the wings up into three parts, the mini-drumstick, the winglet, and the tip, discard the tips cos they're not much good (or if you're into soup-making, fry them off and freeze them for making stock later). If the wings still have some feather remnants, remove them now, they're not nice eating. Next, if you're making them spicy, place the wings into a bowl, pour on the chilli sauce and toss until they're covered (add more if they're not covered properly), then cover and leave in the fridge overnight. Of not spicy, you can skip that part, but to flour them, dunk them in milk instead.

Now, the flouring, take a large casserole dish lid, and fill with the plain flour to about half an inch depth, add a level teaspoon of salt, and a piled teaspoon of pepper (I also add half a teaspoon of garlic here myself usually), and mix with a fork or a whisk until it looks even. For the chilli wings, just roll them in the flour until coated and leave on a plate for 5 to 10 minutes to let the flour soak up the chilli sauce, after a little while, flour again and leave for about 10 minutes, same goes for the non-spicy ones, just dunk them in milk first then flour, as per the chilli ones. Now they're ready for frying.

Heat the oil to 140 Degrees Celcius, a Deep-Fat Fryer is handy for this as it can regulate it more easily, otherwise get yourself a frying thermometer to monitor the temperature, it's best not to use a basket as the chicken may stick, use an open spoon (the one with holes in it) to lower, lift and turn the chicken instead. Place the chicken in the oil carefully, leave to fry until golden, time varies between pieces so have a meat thermometer to hand too, don't want red bits, but you want them moist and juicy. When you have ensured they're cooked, place onto a cooling rack over some kitchen roll, allow them to drip excess oil off. if doing a large batch, you may want to keep them in a low oven to stop them going too cool.

Once done, devour in whatever way you like, on their own, brushed with sauce of your choice (BBQ, Chilli, garlic, whatever!!), or as finger food for a party... :)

Next, the rest of the chicken, Brined!!! :D

Now this one I have been given by my friend in Texas (the one who sent the box of goodies), it produces chicken that is much tastier than KFC and a darned sight cheaper... :)

What you need:
Chicken pieces (legs & thighs, Breasts (not the rib cut KFC do, yuk!!!)
2 quarts of warm water, (about 2 Litres)
1/2 cup of sugar, (100g)
1/4 cup of salt, (68.25g, make it 70!!)
Corn oil
Milk
Plain Flour
Pepper

Mix the water, salt and sugar in a large casserole dish or pan until it looks clear, then place the chicken pieces into it, leave to soak in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. While waiting, prepare the flouring stage, as above use a casserole dish lid for the flour filled to the same level, no need to season cos that's going onto the chicken itself. The milk, just use a relatively wide and flat bowl, half fill so it won't overflow when the meat is placed in there.

Once brined, pull them out, blot them off on kitchen roll to remove excess brine. take the chicken, roll it in the milk, sprinkle pepper onto the meat, then roll in flour, leave on a plate to let the flour soak the milk up, roll in the flour again about 10 minutes later and leave again for a further 10.

Heat up the oil to 140 Degrees Celcius, making sure it is deep enough to cover the pieces of chicken. Lower the chicken pieces in, depending on which part you're cooking, you may be able to get 2 or 3 parts in, but leave enough room between pieces to prevent sticking. Cook until golden, turning occasionally, once it looks ready, probe it with a meat thermometer, if it's not ready, put it back in, or remove, place on a rack over a tray and leave in a low oven to finish off until the thermometer says it's ready.

Once cooked, place on a rack over kitchen roll to drip excess oil (if placed in the oven over a tray, this shouldn't be necessary), and when done, serve with however you want... :)

A health note:
A high-calorie, low carb diet has been found, in studies on mice, to restore damaged kidneys, so, if you have kidney troubles, then this is just what you need... :D

Otherwise, eat as part of a calorie controlled diet, or as part of an "I'll eat whatever the f*** I like" diet, doesn't matter either way, it's your life, you go eat what you want... :-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The first one sounds good ................ but we don't have anything as grand as Sainsburys around here.

I could try Bat wings?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Tivù said:
The first one sounds good ................ but we don't have anything as grand as Sainsburys around here.

I could try Bat wings?

Well, there's always other places (asda, te$co, co-op, morrisons and other leading supermarkets), or a butcher's shop, and I think bat wings wouldn't have a lot of meat on them... :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I shall be trying some Habanero chilli sauce today on my chicken wings, just to see how much more spicy I can get my wings, aswell as adding a couple of crushed garlic cloves soaked in chilli oil into the marinade.... :D

"Ring of Fire" anyone? :-toilet

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
2cvbloke said:
I shall be trying some Habanero chilli sauce today on my chicken wings, just to see how much more spicy I can get my wings, aswell as adding a couple of crushed garlic cloves soaked in chilli oil into the marinade.... :D

"Ring of Fire" anyone? :-toilet

"Airports in the Northwest of England are preparing for a possible airspace closure this evening, due to a localised volcanic eruption and subsequent ash cloud centred on Pendle Hill."

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I don't think it'd be ash, more molten lava, given how hot that chilli sauce is (small drop on the fingertip, and this smiley's not far off!!! )(-red ), them wings are going to be gooooooood... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
And them wings WERE gooooooooooooooood, and surprisingly, the Habanero chilli wasn't as hot as it was fresh out of the bottle, frying it seems to reduce it's potency, so they were spicy, but not kick you in the nuts and blow your head off spicy... :D

And of course, a pic:

Attachments

• plateofwings.jpg
    plateofwings.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 33

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm faxing you a bulk pack of Andrex and some Nivea.

Hopefully it'll arrive before tomorrow morning.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Might need a box of matches too, just to clear the air... :-rofl2

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
......a bulk pack of Andrex and some Nivea.

I was 14 when I first saw those handy items twinned together....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No ill effects in that department yet, although things are going slow...:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
And here's the result of the thighs and legs... :D

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 34

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Interesting.

Dog's Dinner?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
Interesting.

Dog's Dinner?

No, "fried chicken"... :-rofl2

Tasty, yummy, juicy fried chicken, KFC can go suck it.... :D