DAB radio a God send

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I couldn't take the medium wave any longer. I could barely hear Talk Sport. :(

Now I am the owner of a DAB radio :D and all is swell. I recommend them. ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Same here, the noise every time I plugged in my phone charger was annoying, so lashed out on one for the van, unfortunately I had to get a new antenna installed as well, as the screen one wouldn't work through the specially treated windscreen. :-ohcrap

I get the occasional drop out in certain fringe areas, but the overall boost in quality when in reasonable reception areas is well worth the switch over. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Saturlight said:
DAB radio a God send

If I recall, pestilence, frogs, floods, locusts have been sent from above as well.

DAB round here is OK, and there are some stations that otherwise only come through the internet, but at the moment, I will stick to my cats whisker.

kubo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force T90, 1.2m Andrew, Triax TD64, Triax 17x6 Mutiswitch, Promax Prolink-4C Spectrum Analyser
My Location
Northern England
rolfw said:
Same here, the noise every time I plugged in my phone charger was annoying, so lashed out on one for the van, unfortunately I had to get a new antenna installed as well, as the screen one wouldn't work through the specially treated windscreen. :-ohcrap

I get the occasional drop out in certain fringe areas, but the overall boost in quality when in reasonable reception areas is well worth the switch over. :)

@ rolfw

Do you mind if if I ask which DAB radio you bought for your van?
Would you recommend it?

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
I was thinking of putting freeview in my car, but i know areas which cant get it.. the system im thinking of buying has dab and analogue + the freeview and tv screen.. so it would have every chance of getting a signal.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
there is always the added bonus of using your DAB for the commentry on the football.

if you watch a foreign channel for a sports event, and use the radio for the audio, long as its DAB its in sync :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
kubo said:
@ rolfw

Do you mind if if I ask which DAB radio you bought for your van?
Would you recommend it?

Sorry kubo, missed your question completely, didn't mean to be rude. :)

The one I bought was the Sony CDX-DAB6650 very nice unit, plays single audio CDs and MP3 CDs, plus it has an auxiliary input for my Creative Zen juke box. :)

# DAB Tuner
# DRIVE-S HX
# Security Features: Detachable Faceplate
# Multi Codec (Mp3 / Atrac3plus playback)
# ID3 Tag (Track-, Artist-, Album name) / CD Text
# CD-R/RW playback
# BBE MP High Definition Sound
# DSO (Dynamic Soundstage Organizer)
# EQ3 (3 Band Equalizer)
# S-MOSFET 4x52W output
# RDS-EON Tuner
# 2 Pre-out
# Rear-Sub switchable pre-out
# Aux-in
# THERE IS NO CD Changer / MD Changer / WALKMAN control
# IR card remote RM-X151 supplied
# DAB Aerial included

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hope you have 'The Jazz' in the presets Rolf.:-Cbigsmil

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, mostly Talk Sport. ;)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Medium wave is almost IMPOSSIBLE to listen to now. Complete waste of time.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Saturlight said:
Medium wave is almost IMPOSSIBLE to listen to now. Complete waste of time.

People are still broadcasting on MW??? :eek:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Yup.

My favourite station is Arrow Classic Rock on 675KHz. Unfortunately as they are in Holland it's a hell of a struggle for the radio waves to get over the North Sea and Pennines to me.

Even more unfortunate, I suspect, is that they are about to quit the MW for their FM transmitters.

Not much chance of receiving those unless there's heavy spradic E!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yup.

My favourite station is Arrow Classic Rock on 675KHz. Unfortunately as they are in Holland it's a hell of a struggle for the radio waves to get over the North Sea and Pennines to me.

Even more unfortunate, I suspect, is that they are about to quit the MW for their FM transmitters.

Not much chance of receiving those unless there's heavy sporadic E!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PaulR said:
Yup.

Not much chance of receiving those unless there's heavy sporadic E!

I'm seeing double... :D

What exactly is a "sporadic E"? :confused

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Arrow Rock is on Digital.... i get full bars here at the foot of the pennines :)

i listen every day, rockin loud and clear ;)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Arrow Classic Rock in Holland is not the same as The Arrow here. I thought there were similar until I listened to The Arrow here. I couldn't belive how unbelievably London-centric it was. There were practically insulting everyone outside of the M25 by forgetting they existed, what with reports of traffic jams in Bond street or whatever.

Anyway, tried it a few times a couple of years ago and never went back.

Sporadic E. Sorry, should've explained. It's a phenomenom that occurs in Summer where radio wvaes in the VHF frequencies travel hundeds of miles further than they normally would. Normally any VHF waves directed toward the sky simply keep going but just occasionally they get reflected back down to earth. they can be very straong.

I remember driving down through mid-Wales a few (quite a few!) years ago listening to my FM radio. Suddenly I was listening to a Spanish station. This continued for about 15 minutes and then disappeared. It's this localised and short duration. Hence - spradic. The E comes from the layer in the atmosphere in which the reflection takes place.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
funny you mention that... as the staff here will know, i have been working way in london this year (Gatwick) and listened to Arrow rock there.... and yes its all about london.

wierd thing is, i now listen here at home Rochdale (north manchester) and its all North West???

same station same DJ's etc, but when they go to traffic news its different.

so i have to presume that certain sections ie news and travel is localized.... dont know how they do it, but its good.

anyway, the main thing is, the music is great :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is The Arrow available on DAB? The version I listened to was on Astra 2 - which would bound to be a London version.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
believe it or not, but I get Talksport on my car radio on AM here in Germany..not always the best reception but good enough....

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Here in BLACKPOOL, Radio 5LIVE is bad in MW and DAB is the only way to get a clear signal. I can also pickup several fringe DAB stations in Liverpool