DB 800 recording formats

jleroux61

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 800 - Vista SP1/Lenovo T61p
My Location
belgium
Hi,

I expect to buy a DB 800. I can't find any information on the container format that is used for recordings. Which is the format? I assume MPEG2/H.264 is the default video codec. Which is the audio codec?
Can this file format be viewed directly in VLC or WMP? If not, where can we find conversion software?
Thanks
Jean

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
Hi,

I can confirm that VLC can playback recordings made by my DM800 using gemini v3.6/7/8. I record onto an external USB drive and then transfer to the PC. Then I playback using VLC. The files are *.ts (transport stream) and for standard definition recordings are mpeg-2 and for HD are H.264.

However, VLC does not seem to be very efficient. I am running a Core2quad 2.4GHz with 8GB memory and vista 64bit ultimate. I lose a lot of frames. It is watchable but not perfect. I have tried increasing VLC process priority to "realtime" but although it improves the playback slightly it does not cure the problem.

I am running a ATI video card which does support hardware acceleration of blu-ray playback, but it appears that VLC does not utilise the video card.

The strange thing is that task manager reports that the CPU is hardly utilised, nothing more than 30% but still the lost frames. Its a real shame.

Anyone any ideas on how to imrpove the situation? Perhaps encoding into another file type? Changing playback from VLC to another program?

Thanks,

Stvy

giver

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The recordings depend on what is being broadcasted.
It basically records a .TS file in the original format it comes down from the satellite,being this mpeg 2/4 or whatever the format is.
recording does not involve the use of any codec either in software or hardware,because the box is simply dumping data to the hard drive.
What you need to use codecs for,is for rendering the stream.
Now,people don;t realize dm800 can records formats that cannot play,like any 4:2:2 stream.
This TS can be played with VLC,via live streaming from dreambox,or by playing the recorded TS in PC.
So,yes,VLC can play recordings from dm800,and also all other dreambox models.

The missing frames are lost at rendering video? or at being recorded?
Because you cannot render frames that are not recorded,you must be sure the recording is smooth and has not missing frames