Dead Amstrad DRX180

PAR42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DUAL SKY+
My Location
SOUTHAMPTON
:mad: Turned off the power at the weekend to rewire a socket - turned it back on and the Amstrad looks dead as a dodo - it's 13 months old surprise 4 weeks out of warranty.

No lights, but it does have a high pitched whistle from the PSU and the internal fuse is OK - Hooking the disk up to my PC it comes home and ready so that suggests not everythoing is fried - probably power is the problem...

So the questions -
1 - any suggestions as to common component failures in the PSU that can be tried
2 - any one got a dead Amstrad DRX180 with a working supply to cannabalise ?

cheers
Bob.C

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Plenty of used ones on eBay, usually Amstrads are the cheaper ones. Dont pay any more than £20.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What for a Sky+ CH, thought they went for a little more than that.

piman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DRX300 and DRX180
My Location
NORWAY
PAR42 said:
:mad: Turned off the power at the weekend to rewire a socket - turned it back on and the Amstrad looks dead as a dodo - it's 13 months old surprise 4 weeks out of warranty.

No lights, but it does have a high pitched whistle from the PSU and the internal fuse is OK - Hooking the disk up to my PC it comes home and ready so that suggests not everythoing is fried - probably power is the problem...

So the questions -
1 - any suggestions as to common component failures in the PSU that can be tried
2 - any one got a dead Amstrad DRX180 with a working supply to cannabalise ?

cheers
Bob.C
Dead Amstrad DRX180 !
If it helps I fix my DRX180 myself.
The problem was a chip on the PSU board called VIPER53DIP, It seem to blow up after a shortcircut on the power 220V from wall. Try to use your voltagemeter and see if you get 12V at the end on the viper53dip chip. If so buy the dip chip at digikey.com as they are the only on in the world who sell one chip at the time. I also had to change 3 condensators on the PSU.The best way to see if anything is wrong with the PSU is to use a voltagemeter.Voltage should be around 12-13V on mainboard and 13-18V on lnb's output. I have a PSU that function for DRX180 if U are intrested. But remember that I live in Norway.I also have one more VIPER53DIP chip for sale.

neilraf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+ drx180
My Location
guildford, uk
piman-
you still got that viper53 for sale?
do think i could get one cheaper in the UK?

cheers...

asdigi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite
My Location
UK
this seems to be a common problem on the drx180's.....
would a surge protector help prevent this problem?