Dead DB

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi.
I think i have a major problem with my DB, i tried to load an image into the flash memory when it suddenly siezed up and now i can't get it going, i get nothing shown on the DB window just a blank orange screen, i can't use dreamup because the DB can't communicate with the PC it's as if i,ve lost the bootloader programme, there's power to the DB as you can hear the harddrive spin up, can any of you DB technicians help me out please?
Thanks
Rich.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
As I have a 7020 I am not sure if the look on the front BUT there is 2 or 3 buttons just around the display area

1 of those are the re-set button, press it while U restart(cold boot) and U should get back to factory settings

Think it is the upper one but just test them all:)

After that You can start from scratch

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are you using a null modem cable?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
mhku said:
Are you using a null modem cable?

Yes, that's normally the answer, have "killed" my box several times and always managed to load a new image with the Null modem cable. :)

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi all
I have tried all of the above suggestions but to no avail so after a bit of investigation i'm going to take the dramatic step of soldering in some pins to the main board so as to allow me to connect and re-flash using a cas interface, i'll have to stay of the ale the night before as it looks like a tricky soldering job.

mao_nagra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000s
My Location
aqui
I have the same problem, and the solution is to use cas 3 programmer sorry

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Well, this happened to as well but after a cold reset (pressing the upper button while starting the box) I was able to use the null modem cable to upload a new fresh OS to the box

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Just replying to my own thread, i've managed to sort out my problem as described above and my DB is back to normal again but for the sake of anyone else who has the same prob it was the case of fitting on the main board of the DB a block of 16 pins in the right place (see Duolabs site) then with the aid of a cas 2 interface +addon unit and the appropriate software and bootloader bin file it's simply the matter of pressing a few buttons on the computer screen and hey presto my DB was back in boot mode again but i still had to dreamup an image aferwards using a null modem cable, i was lucky enough to know someone who has this equipment.
Another point to make was that i didn't solder the pinblock onto the board i simply drilled tiny holes in the soldered over holes of the board which allowed the pinblock to sit down firmly into the board, i'm not actually recommending this method as soldering is the prefered method but it did work for me and is far less tricky. It may all seem a bit scarey but the hardest part is fixing in the pinblock the rest is quite simple computing.
I'm more than happy to elaborate futher if anyone needs help in this area.
Thanks guy's for your reply's.
Estatic Rich.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Glad you got it sorted.

Some photos would help support what you did?

16 pins in the right place
photos? What is the "right place"?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
It is oppsite to the wrong site, easy :-rofl2

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yeah, you could have made a big impact with some photos and some guide, there are many desperate people who would appreciate such a thing. But, glad to hear you are up and running!

pkvijay

Reaction score
I tried to load an image into the flash memory there was nothing shown on the DB instead there was only a blank orange screen as a result the DB wasn't able to communicate with the PC with dreamup. I lost the bootloader programme. Please help me.I tried j tag with the help of cas2 .it shows that the dream box was not connected.Can I use null modem cable.also where can I get boot loader file?
Thanks
pkv

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
pkvijay said:
I tried to load an image into the flash memory there was nothing shown on the DB instead there was only a blank orange screen as a result the DB wasn't able to communicate with the PC with dreamup. I lost the bootloader programme. Please help me.I tried j tag with the help of cas2 .it shows that the dream box was not connected.Can I use null modem cable.also where can I get boot loader file?
Thanks
pkv

I think you need to read the dreambox guide, you can do lots of things with a dB but I am not aware of anyone having used Jtag and a CAS3 to get one working

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi PVK :)
Read the guide, and use a null modem cable. No need for panic.
Please update your user profile/system before posting again.

Cheers

david20

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 500 S
My Location
Barlavento
pkvijay said:
Thanks
pkv

Hi, Pkv
Once I've got the same problem and I fixed it with new image via DreamUp and null modem cable. Try again.
No panic! and good luck.