Definitive Satellite Channel Listing

Reaction score
Website
www.mad-av.com
My Satellite Setup
2.7m DH with Invacom Quad connecting to a Win7 x64 Media Centre w/ a rotating Thomson or Pace Digibox
My Location
Paphos, Cyprus
To provide a definitive list of what is where etc through a selection of drop-down boxes or search facility. Similar to these two links but across all known sats !

http://www.ses-astra.com/backoffice/findAChannel_en/index.php

http://www.eutelsat.com/deploy_tvLineUp/struts/index.jsp

Personally this would be great for me to find out what i can receive in Cyprus with a "FreeSat"card, and what i could receive if i decided to subscribe but i would think that will be useful to others too. You can also put all the "latest" news into it instead of additions to forum posts that get really long or even to replace "transponders and channels" forum.

I also found that even the Satellite owners dont keep their data uptodate. Example BBC parliament was/is listed as an Astra 2D Vertical 10.847 but in fact is listed elsewhere at 2A Horizontal 11954. With a definitive "satellies.co.uk" we wouldnt waste our time looking !

Obviously would need restricted "write" access to moderators or select enthousiasts

Fields needed in MySQL database ? Or to go one better have more tables and use lookups ?

Satellite Name
Orbital Position
Beam
Frequency
Symbol rate
Polarisation
Digital/Analogue
Service Type (TV/Radio)
Channel Name
Encryption Type
UpdatedDate
UpdatedBy

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Since you have only the one dish,and pointing at 28E and a pace digibox,all you have to do is,starting from 101,keep pressing the channel up button.
If you get a channel with a picture,then its free(i guess you havent got a subscription card).
If you get a message that says something like"insert your viewing card"or"call the broadcaster to upgrade your subscription to receive this channel" then the signal is there but it is a pay channel.
If it says "no satellite signal is being received" then it means you cant get it in Cyprus.
What you get without a card in the digibox is free to air,a freesat card will get you ch4,five,sky three,five life and five u.s

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BigDutchStrikesBack said:
To provide a definitive list of what is where etc through a selection of drop-down boxes or search facility. Similar to these two links but across all known sats !

http://www.ses-astra.com/backoffice/findAChannel_en/index.php

http://www.eutelsat.com/deploy_tvLineUp/struts/index.jsp

Personally this would be great for me to find out what i can receive in Cyprus with a "FreeSat"card, and what i could receive if i decided to subscribe but i would think that will be useful to others too. You can also put all the "latest" news into it instead of additions to forum posts that get really long or even to replace "transponders and channels" forum.

I also found that even the Satellite owners dont keep their data uptodate. Example BBC parliament was/is listed as an Astra 2D Vertical 10.847 but in fact is listed elsewhere at 2A Horizontal 11954. With a definitive "satellies.co.uk" we wouldnt waste our time looking !

Obviously would need restricted "write" access to moderators or select enthousiasts

Fields needed in MySQL database ? Or to go one better have more tables and use lookups ?

Satellite Name
Orbital Position
Beam
Frequency
Symbol rate
Polarisation
Digital/Analogue
Service Type (TV/Radio)
Channel Name
Encryption Type
UpdatedDate
UpdatedBy

Do YOU have time enough to keep it up to date. Because if it isnt kept up to date then it no better than any of the other lists on the net.

Id guess most folks on here wouldnt have time as most of us have full time jobs to keep the wolves from the door..

If its that important to you then why not chip into Flysat or Kingofsat and help them keep their lists up to date.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
In reality (if I am understanding you correctly) something like that may be useful to a few people but the work involved in maintaining it is enormous. We are all volunteers on here and do not have time to do something on a scale such as that. In any case there are already many sites that providing similar information. Also I am sure that kind of site would confuse people into thinking they can get something that their equipment will not allow. There are too many variables involved in channel reception and we would spend all day answering people who do not stand a chance of receiving a channel from a satellite as it is below their horizon. As it is every week at least somebody want to know why they cannot receive something on the other side of the earth below their horizon.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would as you say, be a great facility, but I fear that the time and manpower it would take would be beyond us.

Reaction score
Website
www.mad-av.com
My Satellite Setup
2.7m DH with Invacom Quad connecting to a Win7 x64 Media Centre w/ a rotating Thomson or Pace Digibox
My Location
Paphos, Cyprus
Like anything getting it "off the ground" will take some work. But update to the each data will take 10-20 seconds, considering people are already posting "new channel" and "temp channel" and "channel moved" information into the forum then all i`m proposing is to organise the data in a way that is uniform and thus more usable. I appreciate there are other sites with listings, but they don't have the data available in an immediate user-friendly format.

*Zorba I was just showing my situation as an example. How many posts on the forum ask "what can i get from xxx satellite in xxx country". With a database you could select "28.2, All, Vertical Transponders" and submit the link to the database filter .... then there will always be a current list of what you can/can't get

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
Best of luck.
I'll keep looking at and posting to "Flysat" as well as taking note of the daily updates from Satdude.
PR

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
How many posts on the forum ask "what can i get from xxx satellite in xxx country". With a database you could select "28.2, All, Vertical Transponders" and submit the link to the database filter .... then there will always be a current list of what you can/can't get
But (as I have already stated) that is totally dependant upon the equipment the person is using including dish size, lnb noise, tuner sensitivity, length of cable run, accuracy of dish alignment/lnb skew distance from obstacles thus a number of people may find it confusing thus generating even more daft questions.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Like anything getting it "off the ground" will take some work. But update to the each data will take 10-20 seconds, considering people are already posting "new channel" and "temp channel" and "channel moved" information into the forum then all i`m proposing is to organise the data in a way that is uniform and thus more usable. I appreciate there are other sites with listings, but they don't have the data available in an immediate user-friendly format.

Good luck from the Borders - Im one of the main posters to the channel changes in my 28E threads and Im not taking on updating any other charts.

O-no

Reaction score
Website
www.mad-av.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paphos, Cyprus
no worries - just an idea