Didn't realise how difficult it was going to be!

wyattnorm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foretec Star
My Location
South Norfolk
Being a keen caravanner and getting fed up at times trying to get good local tv reception, I bought a cheap complete sat/system from Maplins. I just did not have a clue how difficult it was going to be set it up.

I have bought a sat finder and today I have located two satellites, one East and one South of my home, how can I tell what satellites they might be?

The receiver shows lots of 'Hotbird' stations located and appear to be aquired, but nothing seems to be viewable?

Can you suggest where I might find a really basic guide for the 'Instruction Manual challenged'. The instruction manual that came with the outfit really does make it difficult to follow a step by step approach.

If I do not crack it soon.......................

Kind regards.

Norman.

I live in South Norfolk.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Give us half a dozen channels that you have found and we well tell you which satellite(s) you have found.

Generally speaking if its German then is Astra 1 19E, & Arabic or Italian Hotbird 13E

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum wyattnorm

Well there are plenty of guides to assist you here
Dish Setup Guides, Information threads and FAQs
The important thing to remember is that the frequencies and settings are repeated across the satellites on the Clarke Curve referred to as the arc, some will be repeated on all the satellites you find but will appear on your stb as though they are from a particular satellite as those details have been set in your stb database. You can find out which satellite you are pointing at by referring to lyngsat.com or flysat.com and comparing the free to air channels you can receive

wyattnorm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foretec Star
My Location
South Norfolk
Many thanks for your replies.....

Can't do much until next week as we are going away.

Regards.

Norman.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a good break & when you get back we can sort you out. Just remember - you have done the difficult bit - actually finding a signal. Some folks take WEEKS to get their first satellite signals! Anything after this is just fine tuning.

Jimmy H

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG43UH661V with region 2 sky dish
My Location
Leek, Staffs
Have a look at _www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk it may be just what you were looking for.

Good luck

Jim

[Moderation] Unparsed URL

wyattnorm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foretec Star
My Location
South Norfolk
Well, I'm back.

Thought I would have a go at tuning in to a sat'. It went fairly well and found what appears to be 'Hotbird'...the programs were mostly of a Middle Eastern flavour. The searching and subsequent display of stations would have been adequate had I been able to speak the lanquages.

I think I was pointing to a southerly direction for this sat, where would I need to look for the Astra Satellite?

Regards.

Norman.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you have found Hotbird then the dish is pointing at 13ED. Swing the dish eastwards (moving the lnb about 6 inches) and drop it down an inch or so. Thatswill put yopu in the ballpark area for 28E.

Mark the pivot points up with tippex, white paint etc first so if you get hopelessly lost you can reset easily.

frenchgrape

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7020s
SpiderBox 9000
My Location
France
wyattnorm, I would guess the real issue is what you have bought....in this game it could be better to buy "a bit better" including a decent sat finder and then practise finding sats.
Some stb's out today will give you so much more, like a linx embedded typr model.....but if the caravan is for short purpose use, you will have to wiegh this option...but as poster 8 mentions, mark it B4 you move anything