Different encoding schemes

Aman

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a bit confused with regards to the encoding schemes.

There is a Humax5400 Allcam patch which apparently allows the inbuilt Irdeto decode to also decrypt Seca and Viaaccess.
I've checked on Lyngsat for Hotbird 1-5 channels, and I can't see Seca mentioned anywhere.
I can see various channels encrypted under MPEG-2,PowerVu, Mediaguard etc.

Can I get some pointers on a FAQ on this subject? I'm interested to know if I get the patch installaed, what benefit would there be of having Seca?

Thanks,

Al.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
There is a lot of mis-use of the terminology, so that's the reason for some of your confusion.

First, that encryption system everyone will insist on calling "seca" is actually called "Mediaguard".
Seca is an acronym for "Société Européenne de Contrôle d'Accès" - the name of the consortium that develops and markets the encryption system. Calling the encryption system by the developer's name also happens with Videoguard. That is often referred to as "NDS" - the owning group). Interestingly, no-one calls Irdeto "Mindport". No-one says they have a "Mindport CAM" or that they are looking for "Mindport keys". So much for consistency...

Powervu and MPEG are both different techniques for compressing digital signals. All consumer receivers in Europe use MPEG. Powervu was only to my knowlege used by Scientific Atlanta and is now (only?) used for distribution of signals intended for cable providers. Once again there's confusion here. Most people seem to think that Powervu is the name of an encryption system - it isn't, at least, not primarily. However, Powervu signals can be encrypted or FTA - just like MPEG2 signals - and the encryption system used for Powervu signals is presumably called Powervu too (I don't know of any other term).

2old

Aman

Reaction score
Okay, it's becoming a bit clearer.

I think I'll just play around with various keys and see what I can catch on the Hotbird with the different encryption systems.

Thanks.

Al.