hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hi,

It may just be me but I seem to be having trouble clicking to read a topic and not opening a user's profile by mistake.

If one takes a subforum, for example

"DISH SETUP: Single sat, Multi-Sat & Motorised systems".

There is a list of subforum, within that subforum, and for each subforum, there is an item on the right that displays the latest post within the subsection as well as the name of its author. The topic/author profile links here work correctly.

For the *sections* (not subforums), there are *four* links on the right: {title, title, author,date} which link to {profile, topic, profile, last post}.

for example

Fibo Owners Club in "DISH SETUP: Single sat, Multi-Sat & Motorised systems".

However for the topics:

HD Receiver For Sports has {title - last post by ..., author, date} linking to {profile, profile, last post}.

If I go to the forums home some of the subforums have 3 links on the right, and some of them 4.

At the time of posting:

Sky & Freesat fringe reception: {title, author, date} -> {topic, author, last post} (correct)

but

Fringe Reception General: {title - last post by ..., title, author, date} linking to {profile, title, profile, last post} (strange)

I may be missing something but it seems to be a bit inconsistent, and quite often clicking on what appears to be the name of the topic takes you to a profile!

I've observed this behaviour with Firefox and Opera. thanks!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Can you Post up some screenshots?

I've just accessed your example and they look to have identical Format to me!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Can you Post up some screenshots?

I've just accessed your example and they look to have identical Format to me!

OK - the "dish size calculator - last post by hairybadger" is a link to the profile.

oddlinks_1.png

[edit] hmmm the screenshot I pasted in hasn't ended up in the posting...
[edit2] ah! full editor :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I think I see the issue - the alt text for the user profile image (in my case, at least) looks like a normal link - it's displaying when there is no user profile image present.
When I click on it the link for the image is activated, taking me to the user profile. When the user profile has an image attached you don't normally see the alt text in that position.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well done on finding out how to get the Screenshot up!

But that Image is hellish wide and narrow - like an extra wide letterbox (Blair's Teeth ?!): Is there a problem with your Display Settings?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Well done on finding out how to get the Screenshot up!

But that Image is hellish wide and narrow - like an extra wide letterbox (Blair's Teeth ?!): Is there a problem with your Display Settings?

I edited in paint to show the relevant information, but then the monitor is 1920x1200 so it had to be quite wide to get it all in! I'll make the navigator window narrower first next time.

I think the problem is due to a firefox setting - I thought browser.display.force_inline_alttext was a candidate but no joy. IE displays the "image broken" metaimage correctly, Firefox (with *my* current settings) displays the ALT text. I can't check Opera here. If I discover which setting it is I'll report back :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
OK - got it. The default user image is set to something at gravatar, which is blocked by the content filter here, so firefox correctly displays the alt text for broken image. So - the issue is only present (for me :) ) when the user has a default profile image or something that is located on a blocked site.

Thanks for your help Tivù!