Digibox for Digital transmissions from Germany?

xbill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
old Astra receiver for German channels 5902/sat1200 receiver
My Location
UK -yorkshire
I have been using Astra for years to look at the main German channels RTL, ARD, RBB etc but have seen a programme stating that the channels will go over to digital in 2008. The programme recommended getting a digibox. Has anyone any further knowledge on this and would an English digibox do the trick or would a box from Germany be needed?

Also if the English box worked, would it tune automatically to the German channels?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
A Digibox generally refers to a sky reciever, so what you need is a Digital Satellite reciever, the Technomate TM1500CI is very popular due to it's ease of patching, so you'd probably do well with one of these... :)

A sky digibox is pretty much useless for anything other than sky... :D

xbill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
old Astra receiver for German channels 5902/sat1200 receiver
My Location
UK -yorkshire
Thanks for the reply. You have given me an obvious answer that I had not considered, but certainly will.

Looking at the plans, the changeover to digital could be anywhere between 2008 & 2012. What I had seen being recommended was a freeview box similar to the ones used in the UK.

Again thanks for your advice.

Bill

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
All the channels currently carrid in analogue are already available in digital and have been for a very long time. SES plan to start pulling the analogue channels off air late 2008 as the analogue transmission contracts expire.

There is ALSO a plan to encrypt many of the fta german digital channels although this was in complete confusion last time I heard anything definite for various reasons. :D