Disaster!!

well i have managed to correct the motor position without having to go on the ladders again,The strong winds had moved it quite a bit eastwards so i corrected this in the Rotor installation menu in Triple Dragon Reciever Longtitude is now set at 0.6 E it was 3.2 W.Very happy now Perfect signal on all Satellites. :) Latitude is at 51.5 N
 
Glad you have reached a compromise Ian ..
but unless the system is physically adjusted by alignment ..
errors will be apparent at the extremes of the arc ..and since I am essentially a dxer ...I need as near perfect arc coverage as possible.
rgds
VS
 
Todays Update ...
The pit for the new pole foundation is nearly dug out ..

..there is some quite severe distortion to the dish itself ..I'll try and post pics of this later..
For now here's a plan of the intended new pole mounting ...
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • plan A.webp
    plan A.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 49
Could this distortion have been pre-existing to some extent?

What I'm getting at is perhaps that recent events might not have as significant effect on performance as might at first be surmised.

That's just me being optimistic again!
 
Hi Gordon ..
There could well have been some pre-existing distortion to the old girl ..
But the petal which has almost an inch of curvature to the lip is the very petal which was hung up on the house wall ..
So I suspect that is recent ..
However since the distortion follows an even curve ...
I think it likely this can be corrected ...but not by taking apart and reassembly of the petals as they are currently......
Some form of brute force will be needed ..even if its only to the one section of distorted lip ..
Once my camera batts have recharged I'll try and get some snaps ..
rgds
VS
 
Been and bought all my paint /degeasing/kurust and rubbing down gear yesterday ...
Made a nice hole in about 50 quid ...but Well worth it as this job is intended to last longer than me ..
What I didn't manage to buy as yet ...where replacement nuts and bolts ...
nor heavy duty right angled wall brackets to carry the horizontal support struts ..
The reason I couldn't get the nuts and bolts is that I want stainless steel ..M8 25mm bolts with suitable stainless spring washers ..etc..
The idea behind this is to replace the existing flange bolts holding the dish petals together ...one at a time ...
The old ones are soooo rusted they have to be cut loose with a dremmel style cutting disc ..
again ..
laborious ..but worth it ..
Anyone know of a suitable supplier of SS nuts and bolts ..with discounts for quantity ?
I'm gonna need around 50+
rgds

VS
 
Radiospares do SS M8x35mm - box of 50 for £12.86 - would they be too long?

_http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=5080900
 
Hi Llew ...
Just took a looksee ..
They are almost what Im after ..
I think the main problem is that the thread doesn't run the full length of the bolt ...
..and since the bolts are clamping together 2 relatively thin slices of aluminium flange ...
I need to be able to clamp the nut up tight ...If you get my drift ..
Interesting that RS do them ..
Perhaps they do other varieties ..
I'll take a look after I close the shop ..
rgds
VS
 
Ah, you need set screws VS. Don't know if they do them, but there'll be other sites that do.
 
This site has a comprehensive selection -

_http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?Diameter=8MM&Length=25MM&Filtered=True&PageID=1&MainCategoryID=5&ProductCategoryID=59226&fType=Fasteners&search=Show+Items
 
Scrub that. Screwfix are a lot cheaper.
 
The Sickening truth is here ..
Took 6 photos of the dish rim ..as it lies face down on the floor..
1 for each petal labeled A > F

Petal F is the centre of damege and most out of shap ?
F for Fubar ...I hope not.

The 20p piece is so you get some idea of scale..

Comments welcome

but not looking forward to the survey..

:(

rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • F.webp
    F.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 62
  • E.webp
    E.webp
    62 KB · Views: 55
  • D.webp
    D.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • C.webp
    C.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 53
  • B.webp
    B.webp
    53 KB · Views: 51
  • A.webp
    A.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 62
Llew said:
Scrub that. Screwfix are a lot chraper.

chraper?

Love it - a composite word for "cheap crap" perhaps?
 
Llew said:
Scrub that. Screwfix are a lot cheaper.
Toolstation are usually cheaper again!

M8 x 20 £1.55 pack of 10
M8 x 30 £1.80 pack of 10

Screwfix price for M8 x 30 - £3.41!

Those are hex headed BTW.

S/S nuts £5.86/100 (ordinary) and £6.08/100 (Nylon)
 
hi vipersan --
just some detail about the bolts -- i think mine are original
i remember when fitting them they are a very precise fit in the hole in the petal and are not threaded alll the way up
they are unthreaded for almost 8 mm -- this is slightly more than than taken up by 2 flat washers 2 thickness,s of petal and a spring washer
31 mm long
8 mm thickness where unthreaded
7.5 mm thickness where threaded

regards nelson.b.
 

Attachments

  • bolt.webp
    bolt.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 38
....OK
..this is what I'm attempting atm..
Fingers crossed
I assumed that since the rise starts on petal E reaches a peak mid way on F ...and dies down again on A

I've staddled the rims of petals A and E with a wooded bar ..then applied a heavy wall capstone to each wooden bar ...
Hopefully over time the distortion will flatten ..
Helped by me occasionally standing on each cap stone for a few seconds ..
Anyone think this has a chance ?
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0002.webp
    DSCF0002.webp
    104.7 KB · Views: 56
And Final picture for tonight ..
A quick and awkwardly perched ...as I hold up the temporary cover paving slab with my leg...photo of the newly dug pit..
2 foot deep and lined on 5 sides with paving stones..
rgds
VS
I'm knackered now ..and a hot bath is tempting me once more..

I did have some help with the digging out ..but hey...I am a damaged human..
;)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0003.webp
    DSCF0003.webp
    211.4 KB · Views: 56
Vipersan said:
....OK
..this is what I'm attempting atm..
Fingers crossed
I assumed that since the rise starts on petal E reaches a peak mid way on F ...and dies down again on A

I've staddled the rims of petals A and E with a wooded bar ..then applied a heavy wall capstone to each wooden bar ...
Hopefully over time the distortion will flatten ..
Helped by me occasionally standing on each cap stone for a few seconds ..
Anyone think this has a chance ?
rgds
VS

worth a try for sure --
getting enough pressure in the right places on such a large and sturdy dish definately presents a problem though--those 2 inch ribs behind the petal joins add a lot to its strength
a substantial weight on the centre as well as the sides might help ---

cheers ---
 
This may be a silly question but if the dish is made of sheet metal, would the application of heat from a blow torch or heat gun applied in specific points on the rim not assist in achieving the required end result as only limited pressure can be applied with equipment available or would the paint damage be too extensive?
 
@ Topper ..
A good idea ...and yes ..I am considering it ...but as you say it may damage the paint on the dish ..
certainly one to consider as a last resort ..

@ Nelson ..
I've already considered the centralized weight option ...as in the earlier diagram ..
I was going to do it this way ...until I saw just how far out petals E > A actually were..
I'm still going to apply centre pressure if/when I have the section of the rim I'm working on ..a bit closer to normal ..

toppers idea of warming the ally as weight is applied is still on the menu so to speak..
cheers m8's
VS
 
Back
Top