Disaster!!

Hello Vipersan,


i will take a look this weekend - which Parts i have to give away - stay tuned! .-)


By Montafon Guy!
 
Hi Friends ..
Latest progress report ..
The new pole is well and truely up
;)

A 10 inch wrap of flash banding flared at the bottom and sunk into the concrete base completed the pole base ..
This tarred wrap should make for a damned good seal ...particularly as it was warmed and adhered to the pole.
The paving stones where cut and re-layed ...and the surrounding ground reinstated..
All in all a nice job I think ..
More permanent angle iron ties to the walls will be fitted later ..after a final coat of hammerite is applied to the pole itself
and just in time I suspect ..as the weather report doesn't bode good.

..and before anyone comments ...yes it is vertical ..

just me not holding the camera steady ...
Its what comes of rushing to avoid the rain..
;)
rgds all
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0012.webp
    DSCF0012.webp
    133 KB · Views: 68
Vipersan said:
..and before anyone comments ...yes it is vertical ..

.....as if we would LOL.

Seriously, it's looking really good and you should be proud of what you've acheived. By the by, how did the hospital check up go??
 
Well done, Sir!

You certainly seem to have paid great attention even to the finest details and are taking your time making sure it's right and will endure.

Erection is one thing, mounting is something else.
 
Thanks Pete ..
The checkup went ok ....
I'm no worse ...in fact they say some small improvement in my mobility ..
Dexterity is sadly unchanged .
My scans where postponed till my next visit ..
but all in all comments where good.
I did mention the extreme fatigue and restless sleep I'm still suffering from..
Doc's reply was ...it comes with the territory..
Nothing they can do ..just learn to live with it ..
The major improvements are all but done ..but theres's still room for some small improvements over time.
rgds
VS
 
Tivù said:
Well done, Sir!

Erection is one thing, mounting is something else.
..and therein lies another story ..
;)
VS
 
Hello Vipersan,


i managed to get this parts from the Dish: _http://i54.tinypic.com/2n7grr6.jpg

Physicly i have more on the Dish itself - but cant scew them up - because the are rosty and outside for 20 Years.. :-(

But the 1,8 m Alcoa is all yours - if you have someone who will make Holidays in Austria - he is welcome to took the Dish away .-)


So what you think?


Regards Montafon Guy!
 
Thanks for trying Montafon..
Sadly I can't see the pics as the link doesn't work for me.

I know how difficult it is to remove parts from the dish ..
Mine too had spent 20 years rusting up the bolts.
I had to spend hours heating them with a blowlamp then rapid cooling with cold water followed by wire brushing..just to get them loose.
Some where so rusted that the bolts had to be cut off with an angle grinder.

I don't think I shall be visiting Austria anytime soon ;)
My 'condition' prevents me getting any form of travell insurance ....even if I wanted too..
but thanks anyway for the kind offer.
I think I'll have to return to plan A and manufacture the missing parts...
nonetheless I do appreciate you efforts.
rgds
VS
 
VS, if you are interested in a free 1.8M dish (!), can I make what may be an outlandish but do-able suggestion as to how the dish could be transported to you? It will mean me going OT for while.....

A few years back my late wife Debbie needed to rehome a pet rabbit to the UK from France. She managed herself, to get the rabbit to London but couldn't drive up to the North West of England to deliver her to her new home. The person in London ran a pet rabbit forum and with the cooperation of her forum users formed what was christened the 'bunderground'. The rabbit was delivered to various motorway service areas, transferred from vehicle to vehicle and 'daisy chained' up the country to her new home.

Now, I realise that we are talking of far greater distances and fewer participants (I think this forum has only a scattering of European based members) but could we attempt the same thing? The main consideration would be if the Alcoa could be dissassembled for transport. For my part (as I only have a Nissan Micra, not really suitable for taking large dishes!) I'd be willing to store the dish until someone from the UK could pick it up and take it over the Channel. Not only that, I'm willing to offer free overnight accomodation for up to four people, either dropping off the dish or collecting it.

Yes, it's probably a loopy idea that will never work but you never know what might happen....
 
Hi Pete ..
I applaude your ingenuity..
Its certainly a novel idea ..but in theory could work.
Thing is Pete ..having restored my origional dish to working condition with no damage to the petals ..
Another 1.8 alcoa..although tempting to own for spares ...would be surplus to requirements and I have nowhere to store it ..even disassembled.
I suspect Montafon probably couldn't get the components appart anyway without damage ..as he rightly says ..
Its well rusted after 20+ years of exposure to the elements.
Its a beautiful dish ..and deserves to be used ..but I suspect it would have to remain in one piece ..even for transport.
Nice idea though :)
Luckilly mine is only short a handful of parts ..
..so as soon as I'm feeling up to the task ..I'll set about making them.
rgds
VS
 
Montafon Guy said:
Hello Vipersan,


i managed to get this parts from the Dish: _http://i54.tinypic.com/2n7grr6.jpg

Physicly i have more on the Dish itself - but cant scew them up - because the are rosty and outside for 20 Years.. :-(

But the 1,8 m Alcoa is all yours - if you have someone who will make Holidays in Austria - he is welcome to took the Dish away .-)


So what you think?


Regards Montafon Guy!
Hi vipersan here is the picture of the parts from the dish.:)
 

Attachments

  • 2n7grr6.webp
    2n7grr6.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for forwarding the photo Ian ..
Exactly what I need ...
Such a pity Montafon can't get the rest of the parts off the dish ..
I more dish bracket ..and the rest of the rim plates and right angles ..and I'd have a full set..
But If Montafon is reading this ..
...Then I'll take whatever parts you can get off the dish ..and am very grateful for them ..
Rgds
VS
 
Hello Guys,


o make it clear:


on 1,8m Alcoa is one "Piece Of Cake" missing ( Panell ) - without Polarmount on it.
So the main thing is to make it 1/2 - for having 2 Pices for an easy transport...

If you Vipersan, wants only the 4 Parts on the Photo - send me a Pm with Adress and so on..

But the complete dish in 2 Parts would be the better solution...


Regards Montafon Guy!
 
..Like British Rail .....we're getting there ..
Took 6 hours to get this lump down to bare metal ...
Still a few rust spots to deal with ...but having to wait for a new supply of sanding discs..
This lump alone took 12..and I've run out.

The question is ..should I paint it staight off with hamerite smooth ...
It says straight to rust on the tin..
Or should I prime it with hammerite 'red' metal primer first ..
Which will give a 'harder' longer lasting result..?
'cream crackered' now ...so ..yet another early bath ...followed by an early night ..
rgds all

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0013.webp
    DSCF0013.webp
    149.2 KB · Views: 61
wow -- thats some preparation job youve done there --
as youve gone that far -- i would treat it with rust killer to deal with any microscopic rust spots - then the red oxide -- then the hammerite smooth --
it wont take half the time that the preparation did --
hammerite paint vapours are unpleasant , if you cant paint it outside -- ensure good ventilation -- or it will make you feel ill --
cheers nelson.b.
 
Sounds like a good plan Nelson ..
Just one question ..
Does the kurust have to be removed/keyed after it turns black ...or is the black converted surface stable enough and bonded well enough for the application of the primer ?

My other idea is to prop the whole ring assembly against a radiator for a few hours to get it warm prior to painting with the red primer..
I've read that hammerite is better when painted on a hot surface ..
Warm will have to suffice as I dont have an oven big enough to take such a large lump ;)
rgds
VS
 
Kurust should be left when cured - it helps prime, too.
 
Thanks Gordon ..
The info is much appreciated m8
rgds
VS
 
Well ..
sadly no more sanding down steel today ..as it looks like the rain is in for the day ..
A good thing really as it will force me to take a rest day..
However the rain has turned my attention back to the pole..which at the moment has nothing but a plastic bag and rubber bands to cap it and prevent water getting in ..
So ..as it happens ..I had 4 litres of motor oil lying around ..doing nowt ..
this I have poured into the pole and it looks to have brought the oil above ground level ..though this is dificult to judge just by eye ..
A rough calculation shows the internal volume of the total 'cylinder' errr pole to be approx 10+ litres ...10800 cc
So I could just go and purchase some more oil and fill it up ..
..an alternative idea I had ..was to pour dry sharp sand into the oil/pole..and effectively fill up the volume with an oil-sand slurry ..
certainly this would be a cheaper way to go ..

I guess what I'm asking is ..would the oil just rise to the top eventually..
leaving dry sand at the bottom..

thoughts anyone ?
rgds
VS
 
From memory, sharp sand contains a large amount of salt, which would be corrosive.

I would stick with the oil bath as it is and then fill the top foot of the post with expanding foam.
 
Back
Top