Disaster!!

Thanks CH ..
glad I asked ..
I'd no idea sharp sand contained so much salt..
Still thats why its good there are so many knowledgeable folk on this board..
rgds
VS
 
Two thoughts:

One: Oil floats on water, so if you get any water ingress either rising from the foundation/ground or whatever other means, it'll get trapped under the oil

Two: Dry Sand is likely to be hygroscopic and may absorb water from the foundation/ground



Personally, I think leaving it void isn't going to be a problem, subject to capping the top of the pole - and there isn't much wrong with your temporary method: I do the same on my oil tank filler!


Edit: Just seen CH's reply - like the foam idea :-thumb1
 
Tivù said:
Edit: Just seen CH's reply - like the foam idea :-thumb1

Thanks

Another tip. Before doing the deed, go round the house/shed and mark on a piece of paper all the brickwork/floor/door/window frame gaps/pipe vents that might need filling with the stuff. That way you can use up the whole can in one go with the same nozzle and gloves as once the stuff goes off, its a right pig to reuse the canister.
 
Shirley that should read around brickwork/floor/door/window frame gaps/pipe vents that might need filling with the stuff

:D
 
You haven't seen my house, the builders used half bricks on most of the property back in the 1930's
 

Attachments

  • Howard.webp
    Howard.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 27
:-handclap

This is already post of the year in my eyes - your 'diary' and pictures are an inspiration as is everyone chipping in with their amazing and valuable advice


the only downside is that the project isn't being filmed and made into a documentary

- fancy taking that pole down again, rebending the dish and starting again?! :-lol

... well worth the licence fee VS and a great opportunity for these little chaps to make an appearance :-mamster
 
Yes its an excellent thread. It is an excellent example of best practise in how the forum should work - a member in trouble and help and advice being given from loads of folks.

And best of all it looks like its going to have a positive outcome in the end
 
Hi friends ..
I have plugged my pole ..if you'll pardon the expression ..
kept the foam a little cooler than its normal usage 'temp' ..
This mean't the foam didn't expand immediately on contact with air...allowing me to almost pour it from the nozzle straight down to the oil at the bottom ..
I emptied a full can of foam into the pole this way ...stopping ..err running out 8 inches short of the top of the pole ..
in the last hour the foam has expanded up and out of the top of the tube ...ready for cutting it flush.
So I m assuming I now have a solid fill with 4 litres of oil just above ground level ..
I'd consider that a success ;)

A final note ..
A special public thankyou to Montafon Guy ..who this morning posted off to me from Austria ..some missing parts for my old Alcoa Dish..
Again this proves just what a great forum ..populated with such helpful and like minded people we have.
rgds
All
VS
 
Superb progress - and a fine example of camaraderie and helpfulness.
 
Vipersan said:
So I m assuming I now have a solid fill with 4 litres of oil just above ground level ..

Just waiting for the day when the pole rusts through.....
 
Channel Hopper said:
Just waiting for the day when the pole rusts through.....

Bahh humbug CH ;)

...I suspect I'll be 6 feet under by the time this one rusts through ..
:)

On a lighter note ..
Asked a neighbour to give me a lift up with the ladders ..
Took advantage of todays placid weather ..
feeling brave..
No rain No wind ...and that rarest of sights ...
Sunshine ..
been up to the TD110
and shifted it back roughly 1.8 degrees around the motor stubb westward..
It now sets correctly at 53.5N 2.4 West ..
100%Q 100%S on BBC world news @1 West
and
100% Q and 99% S on AlJazera news Hispasat @30W


rgds
All
VS
 
Ok ..
been grafting since 8 AM ...
Time for some well earned breakfast I think ..
Just a quick update on the first steel lump ..
It has been kurusted and primed with red oxide..

To harden off is gonna take days ..so I'll make a start on the second half of the polar mount next ..
more sanding down just as soon as my new sanding disks arrive..(hopefully later today)
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0014.webp
    DSCF0014.webp
    146.6 KB · Views: 47
Impressive topic , I;m speechless

Vipersan I wish you many succes.I'm still impressed what a great forum satellites.co.uk is and I feel proud being a member of it


BestRegards
DoktorOfSat
 
Hi friends ..
...The final parts to the Polar mount have now been sanded down to bare metal and undercoated in red primer ..
The lump with 'scale' on it was indeed mighty tricky ..as I had to be carefull not to get paint in the ball joints...and there where so many edges ..nooks and crannies to sand and paint..
I ache everywhere ..and its no exaggeration to say I've worn my fingers and thumbs to bleeding point ..
;)
I have cracks and splits on my thumbs particularly which will take a couple of days to heal..

I shall have to leave the 3 remaining lumps to harden off the undercoat now for at least 3 days..

I shall probably use the opportunity to cap the pole with metal ..and give the pole one final coat of hammerite...
hopefully the weather will hold
;)
rgds all
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0016.webp
    DSCF0016.webp
    160.9 KB · Views: 46
Well there are those better qualified than I to talk about the deleterious effects of getting paint in your cracks and ball joints, but suffice it to say that you appear to be getting very close to the "final act".

Can you clarify elaborate on the metal cap idea?
 
You're making good progress VS. The polar mount is looking really good. Completely OT, do I spot a Terry's Chocolate Orange on your table by the window? Lucky man!! Got to be my favourite treat, sadly you can't get them here and I have to rely on friends and relatives for supplies, which are usually restricted to Xmas, Easter etc.
 
Hi Gordon ..
As you know ..the pole is now plugged with foam ...but is still capable of retaining a small ammount of rainwater which could have an effect on the mount itself as it sits atop the pole ..
So I figured a round metal disc on top ..secured in position with epoxy ..just to give the pole top a smooth finish with nowhere for the rain to pool ..
The mount itself will provide enough downward pressure to keep in in position ..as it will sit directly on the metal disc ..
rgds
VS
 
Tivù said:
Well there are those better qualified than I to talk about the deleterious effects of getting paint in your cracks and ball joints, but suffice it to say that you appear to be getting very close to the "final act".

I have it on good authority that paint in cracks and ball joints can be very irritating, especially when nearing 'the final act'. (in relation to sub assembly naturellment)
 
sonnetpete said:
You're making good progress VS. The polar mount is looking really good. Completely OT, do I spot a Terry's Chocolate Orange on your table by the window? Lucky man!! Got to be my favourite treat, sadly you can't get them here and I have to rely on friends and relatives for supplies, which are usually restricted to Xmas, Easter etc.

Thanks Pete ..
It wasn't deliberate Product Placement ..
But if Terrys want to send me a crate ...I'll split 'em with you ..
;)
cheers
VS
 
And don't forget: RIP Ron Hickman, the chappie who developed the Workmate.
 
Back
Top