Disaster!!

Sadly, I don't think our audience share is large enough to attract 'freebies', though I wonder what might happen if I took a photo of my dishes with a Ferrari prominently in frame (as I do have one or two spare red sportscars hanging round of course!!!).
 
Ok ..
Heres what can be achieved in less than 2 hours with a sheet of 2mm steel ...a cardboard template ...an angle grinder and a grindstone..
rgds 2 all
VS
 

Attachments

  • image1.webp
    image1.webp
    158 KB · Views: 57
  • image2.webp
    image2.webp
    134.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image3.webp
    image3.webp
    136.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image4.webp
    image4.webp
    180.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image5.webp
    image5.webp
    193.1 KB · Views: 61
Well I can't possibly cap that - fantastic job.

BTW, have you eaten the Chocolate Orange yet?
 
Not yet Gordon ..still got a few slices in the fridge :)
mmmmm...
Chocolate..
 
Looks like everything is coming together, and it all looks a top job m8 :)
 
This gets a best thread award from me but I was wondering, after all the hard work that's gone into the refurb, and the extended interested from around the globe, will you be getting the local Mayor in to cut the ribbon before you hit that 36V switch for the first time? :D
 
..Thats a Definate no aceb..
The last thing I want is officialdom hanging round my 'gaff' ...
They have an annoying habit of finding reasons to make you take such a beautiful construct down ..
..even though it has been there for 20++ years ..
never disturb a sleeping dog ..
thats my mantra..
;)
rgds
VS
 
Well ...the sun is out ..so looked like the perfect day to get the last coat of paint on the newly capped pole
...also got a coat of black smooth on the polar mount dish support ring...
It has stood since last thursday to harden off the undercoat ..
can't do any more today ..as I can't yet move the 'ring' ..and of course the other polar mount components have to harden off for a few days.
Been working since 7 am ..so just time for a bit of breakfast before I go open my shop.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • first coat.webp
    first coat.webp
    145.6 KB · Views: 57
  • pole final coat.webp
    pole final coat.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Pole capped.webp
    Pole capped.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 50
Looking good, VS.

Good luck with hardening off your ring.
 
Tivù said:
Looking good, VS.

Good luck with hardening off your ring.

I ...just knew that was an opportunity for a smutty pun ...
points scored for getting in there first..
nyuk nyuk ...
;)
rgds
VS
 
Tivù said:
Good luck with hardening off your ring.

Painful - Preparation H anyone??
 
Vipersan said:
before I go open my shop.
Glad to hear that it's still up and running. I had wondered...
 
Good morning peeps ..
Change of pace this morning ..as I can't do any more until the paint hardens..
However it just occurred to me that someone might be able to re-use the old pole for a shorter installation ..
Still a nice piece of pipe with plently of good ..undamaged steel (but for a few cosmetic rust spots)...length of 3.5 inch pipe..
6 foot in length ..but you would lose the bottom 5>6 inches once its cut off to make a clean end.

I hate the idea of this piece of pipe going to a scrap yard ...and I truely believe such things should if possible be re-cycled.

So ..its free to anyone who can make use of it...but would have to be collected of course.

rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0032.webp
    DSCF0032.webp
    182.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0033.webp
    DSCF0033.webp
    215.9 KB · Views: 48
VS offers out his trusty pole, whilst the liberal coating on his ring drys off.......
 
Nice one CH ..
Well thought out ...and certainly gave me a few chuckles...
Form an orderly queue at the front door guys ..
:D
 
Tchhh

Who would want VS's rusty jagged pole?
 
PaulR said:
Tchhh

Who would want VS's rusty jagged pole?

Point taken Paul ..
No offers as yet ..
..but then who could blame 'em ..
My rusty ,trusty jagged old pole has seen better days
:(
VS
...
 
Hi friends ..
After living with paint fumes for over a week ..the Polar Mount is almost ready to be re-installed.
There are a couple of spots where the paintwork needs touching up ..but I'll wait until its reassembled and fitted.
The light is better outside ..so my old eyes will be better able to detect anything I've missed.
As you can see from the photos ..The main ring is fully painted and hardened off ..
The pole clamps are painted ..which included having to have one of the lock nuts welded back as it had snapped clean off when it fell.
All the large nuts ,bolts and washers have been sanded ..threads wire brushed ..and finally sprayed with a metal preserving paint .
..and I've even cut some large rubber washers from an old rubber mat ..which will hopefully prevent scratching of the paint when reassembled and in use..

A well earned day off today ..whilst I go and buy a new power drill ..
I've managed to wear my old Bosch out completely..
The gearbox fell apart ..with all the sideways action of the mandril plus sanding discs and various wire brushes employed over the last few weeks.
The extra Dish clamp plates supplied by Montafon arrived from Austria ..
These have also been rubbed down and undercoated ..to be painted next week.
;)
I now have a full set of Six ..
..and I've started making the missing right angle brackets out of a 1/8 inch thick aluminium angled bar (each angle is 2 inch x 3 inch)...again ..a job for next week..

Shouldn't be too long now 'till the old girl is back up.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0034.webp
    DSCF0034.webp
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0035.webp
    DSCF0035.webp
    152.4 KB · Views: 52
Well done VS, I'm in awe of your work ethic and determination......No sign of a Chocolate Orange sadly, have they been consumed as a 'just reward'?
 
Back
Top