Disaster!!

The simplest methods are usually the best ..
A quick 'knock up' to get my line on the wall at solar noon..
..it should be accurate enough..

..time for some quick breakfast.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0041.webp
    DSCF0041.webp
    123.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0042.webp
    DSCF0042.webp
    160.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0043.webp
    DSCF0043.webp
    118.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0044.webp
    DSCF0044.webp
    193.3 KB · Views: 48
You may have missed your vocation in life, VS: Maybe in another life you could have been Fred Dinenage!
 
Helloooooooo

Anybody there?

Now 12.26 Z

Gone time - really sunny here. Hope it is the same for you.
 
Tivù said:
Helloooooooo

Anybody there?

Now 12.26 Z

Gone time - really sunny here. Hope it is the same for you.

VS lives at 53°N 3°W.......ergo it's probably raining LOL
 
Nooooo...
I'm here ..
Been locking her up in position ..
Didn't really need the 'gubbins' I hung out the back..
By some extaordinary twist of fate ..
The pole casts an exact half shadow onto the soil pipe behind at solar noon ..
So the centre of the shadow is exactly on the left edge of the soil pipe ....for future reference ..
Who said this job wasn't sh1tty
;)

rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0045.webp
    DSCF0045.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0046.webp
    DSCF0046.webp
    150.7 KB · Views: 34
Ha ha ha!

Serendipity in action.

Just time for another cup of tea.
 
...Just goes to prove Prof Cox wasn't totally correct..
A case of Chaos ...re-forming into Order ??
A quick brew and its time to go open the shop..
rgds
VS
 
Tivù said:
Ha ha ha!

Serendipity in action.

Just time for another cup of tea.


...I think your subtlety ..shot clear over my head there Gordon ..or should I call you Ford..
perhaps because I was in a hurry to get my towel dry..

Nothing like a strong Brownian motion producer...to run an improbability drive..

Arthur signing out...
My ride has just turned up ..
I supect you have a Heart of Gold ??

;)
rgds
VS
 
This is a great thread even better then the,garry g thread well done Vipersan.
 
JOHN896 said:
This is a great thread even better then the,garry g thread
And with a better conclusion in sight!
 
..
Hi friends ..
Having got the Polar Mount up ..
Work has begun on the dish itself ..
Firstly the dish has had a damned good clean ...and 3 of the orgional bolts cut off with an angle grinder ..to make way for the newly manufactured replacement rim angles..
So far I've made 2 sets ..and drilled 1 of the 2 ...
One set still to be made..
I thought I'd post pics (as usual) ..to show that L shaped brackets wont do ..
but I bought the aluminium Ls oversized so they can be shaped to fit ..
The pictures show..
Before and after as it were..
Also included a shot of an origional 'pair' ...
3 of which were fitted where the tripod mount plates go ..
the other three were missing when I got the dish ..all those years ago ..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0049.webp
    DSCF0049.webp
    114.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0048.webp
    DSCF0048.webp
    106.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0047.webp
    DSCF0047.webp
    100.9 KB · Views: 44
What are the screws/nuts/bolts composed of?

I wouldn't like to think that all your good work could be marred in future by corrosion of primarily ferrous components.
 
Hi Gordon ..
You can see the origional nuts and bolts were just steel ..and as such have been corroded to the point that they have to be cut off ...and not unbolted ...

I've invested in a large bag (50 of each) ..marine grade stainless nuts bolts penny washers and shakeproof/split sprung washers..

;)
rgds
 
I thought you might have got that one covered ....................... :)
 
Well all I can say it well done VS you have incredible patience and good engineering skills
 
Thanks Topper..for the kind words and encouragement.
its only 12months since I was just leaving hospital after my hands were almost paralysed ...along with various other problematic bodily functions ..
No one is happier than I that I have regained a very large proportion of functionality..
..particularly after the specialist had said ...don't expect to ever be 100% again.

Sometimes I think such setbacks as my faithful old dish being blown down ..gives me a reason to push myself to the limit.
In other words ...excellent therapy.

I still get very tired ...very quickly ..and still haven't regained all the dexterity I lost.
but I keep trying..
keeping this 'diary' of my progress is good for me ..and hopefully it will be helpful and perhaps inspirational to others.
cheers m8
VS
;)
 
I tried to give you double "Likes" for this, but the system does not cater for it,
 
PaulR said:
And with a better conclusion in sight!

Yeah, a council notice that the dish is now higher than the original planning acceptance.
 
Channel Hopper said:
Yeah, a council notice that the dish is now higher than the original planning acceptance.

I keep reading how Planning rules are going to be radically simplified, so hopefully there will be more happy endings and less paint stripper strewn cars.
 
Well friends ..
These will probably be the last pictures before she goes back up ..
Probably weekend ..
Its all weather dependent now ..and there are some very blustery westerly gusts today ...today has beem ruled out.

dish clamp plates have been fitted ...as have the new rim support plates ..
The dish has been flipped and re-checked by re-stringing ..
The tripod has been temporarily fitted for further checks ..
rgds 2 all
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0051.webp
    DSCF0051.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0052.webp
    DSCF0052.webp
    109.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0053.webp
    DSCF0053.webp
    88.5 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top