Disaster!!

Yep, no point struggling with it in this weather!

Went for a walk by t'river this morning while the car was being MoT tested and I could hardly stand up in some of the gusts.
 
That's just so impressive.

You'll have to change the title of this thread to something like "Phoenix arising or "Triumph out of Disaster"!

Well done.
 
PaulR said:
That's just so impressive.

Like that man that built a boat in his living room, I will be most impressed if it gets out of the house in one piece.
 
LOL ..
Nice one CH ...but the dish came in through the door in one piece ..so it should go out the same way ..
..minus the tripod of course..
;)
 
Hi friends ..
Rushing a bit this morning ...
..and am late opening up the shop ..
Shes up ...but many hours of adjustment ahead ...
Heres a few quick pics ..
with a close up of the rubber tubing I added to the U bolts before fitting ..
Extra protection both for the thread and the newly painted ring whilst fitting ..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0054.webp
    DSCF0054.webp
    189.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0055.webp
    DSCF0055.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0056.webp
    DSCF0056.webp
    189.1 KB · Views: 68
...
So busy working on my dish ..and congratulating myself ...that I hadn't checked the news this morning ..
My heart goes out to eveyone in Japan ..following the devastating earthquake thats hit them ..
VS
 
Looking good VS. Hard work now paying off. We await further developments re adjustments :)
 
Vipersan said:
...
So busy working on my dish ..and congratulating myself ...that I hadn't checked the news this morning ..
My heart goes out to eveyone in Japan ..following the devastating earthquake thats hit them ..
VS

It certainly puts things in context - I have a couple of things causing me grief at present and they now seem so trivial and insignificant.

But life does go on, so keep the reports about the dish coming.
 
Just realised I'd missed your last set of pics. They certainly bear close scrutiny well - your attention to detail goes way beyond the call of duty. Man after my own heart.
 
You will never get any signals with the dish pointing up in the air like that VS ;) :D

Unless you are after the polar orbiting sats....

Seriously its great to see the dish up again after all the hassle
 
Thanks for the comments guys..
there has been a slight delay as one of the tripod legs has come loose ..
I'm guessing the soldering was slightly fractured when it origionally fell..
No biggie as it is relatively easy to repair ..and this time I'll wrap some copper wire around the joint before soldering ..
rgds all
VS
 
Congratulations Evan,


looks very good - any Spacecenter received meanwhile?.-)

By the way: your letter arrived this Week, thanks.....



Regards Montafon Guy!
 
@ Nelson ...
When you came round to measure up the old polar mount ...pre re-painting
You took some photos of the old mount ..
Did you by any chance take a picture of the polar mount on the side showing the elevation scale ?

The original bolt 'lockup' position would have left a decent imression of where the optimum elevation would have been ...in the form of an impression where the lockup bolt and washer would have spent most of its time over the years ..
Do you have a picture you can upload so that I can use it as a reference ??
rgds
VS
 
hi vipersan
the photo is a little blurred - but i,v uploaded a screenshot of it below -- i can upload the original photo if you wish but its over 2 meg and my upload speed is slow here --
regards nelson.b.
 

Attachments

  • vs.webp
    vs.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 42
No need nelson ..
The photo you uploaded is perfectly adequate ..
I just needed to see roughly where the washer had made an impression on the body of the mount ..
That way I can lock it roughly in the right area for the start of the alignment..tomorrow..

How you doin' btw ..
Have you made a start on your mount ?

rgds
VS
 
here,s a better one -- zoomed in --- not done much with satellite things just recently -- apart from some t.v. viewing
cheers nelson.b.
 

Attachments

  • vs 2.webp
    vs 2.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 52
Vipersan said:
That way I can lock it roughly in the right area for the start of the alignment..tomorrow..

rgds
VS

hope the weathers ok for you then --

you have pushed on with the job realy well in the last couple of weeks --

i,m hoping to be in greater manchester for a day or two -- in about a week from now -- and will be making sure i have the time to call for a first hand viewing of the new installation -- it will be in full operation - and fine tuned by then i think :)

regards nelson.b
 
nelson_b said:
hope the weathers ok for you then --

you have pushed on with the job realy well in the last couple of weeks --

i,m hoping to be in greater manchester for a day or two -- in about a week from now -- and will be making sure i have the time to call for a first hand viewing of the new installation -- it will be in full operation - and fine tuned by then i think :)

regards nelson.b

You are always welcome m8...
Fingers crossed I don't encounter any further problems ...and that the end result justifies all the hard work..
Only time will tell..
;)
rgds
VS
 
Well VS, the day has dawned and I wish you the very best for the alignment.

I can't help but think all will be well.
 
No alignment as yet ..
Spent the morning refitting the actuator arm ...and the tripod ..
Ready for action at 12 noon ..
Lucky break in the cloud ..
The sun showed its face around 12:15
This gave me just enough time at 12:19 to do final true south alignment using the sun ..
Check out the shadows cast on the dish face ..
Assuming I have set the dish in the midle of the polar mounts 'swing' accurately enough ..
I should be bang on ..
I certainly would claim accuracy to within 2 degrees ..possibly 1 ...
To that end I quickly hooked up the lnb and checked my due south sat @ 0.8W (C band)

here is my first received picture ...unaligned ..but certainly booming in ...with no choke /scalar ring ...but dielectric plate fitted in a hurry..
Time for a Bacon Sarnie ...
I think _so_..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • 4 minutes to solar noon.webp
    4 minutes to solar noon.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 12-19 Solar noon.webp
    12-19 Solar noon.webp
    73.6 KB · Views: 56
  • permanent reference.webp
    permanent reference.webp
    170.9 KB · Views: 54
  • cap_ch19_20110313_123552.webp
    cap_ch19_20110313_123552.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top