Discovery channel disappeared...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ok, I just tried to watch Discovery channel through TUTV, and I can't, the channel has no Audio or Video and all that appears is an ad for TUTV Anytime. I've tried the card in an OnDigital box and it's the same. So, I've e-mailed TUTV asking them why it has dissapeared, and if they replay saying it's now only available through their PVR then we'll be cancelling the sub and move over to sky or Virgin Cable... 'O'-red

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Go for Sky. You know you want to ;)

TUTV will be down to 3 or full time channels very soon. The bandwidth is being sacrificed to the new pvr venture.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Go for Sky. You know you want to ;)

TUTV will be down to 3 or full time channels very soon. The bandwidth is being sacrificed to the new pvr venture.

I'm not so sure about sky at the moment, especially with their petty squabble over the channel rent with Virgin, I wouldn't want to give sky more money if they can't accept that their channels aren't worth what they ask for.... :p

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I had ayear with On / ITV Digital before they went bust and then we went over to Sky. I wouldnt go back to DTT now, the basic package isnt bad value compared to what we were paying for DTT.

And 20 quid a month so I get some peace & quiet with my Bulgarian channels whilst swmbo watches the sci fi on Sky Onc is worth every penny

:-lmao

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I miss OnDigital, that was a brilliant service, decent channels too, shame ITV messed it all up... :(

And my little Film4 trick was brilliant when it was on OnDigital... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I just spoke to TUTV, they were trying to convince me that their new service was better, but we aren't paying the £75 for their, especially after the £60 for the cam & card, and they said "well not everyone has an IDTV", but people had to buy a compatible freeview box with a slot which were around £40-50 (excluding the old OnDig boxes) plus the card which was about £20, so the cost is unjustifiable, but as their cancellations department isn't open past 5pm means I couldn't cancel today, but I will tomorrow though!!! 'O'-red

I even told them I could get sky a damnsight cheaper too, and she said "can you get TV from them for less than £7.99 a month?" and I said no, I can get TV for £15 a month but get more than just 4 channels!!! See the difference???

What a farce!!! It's completely ludicrous!!! £7.99 for 4 channels??? A waste of money!!!

I had a good rant though!!! :D

Bar stewards!!! 'O'-red

mrMick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital, 8Mb broadband
My Location
cambs, uk
2cvbloke said:
I miss OnDigital, that was a brilliant service, decent channels too, shame ITV messed it all up... :(

And my little Film4 trick was brilliant when it was on OnDigital... :D

what, pray tell, was that..???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
mrMick said:

OnDigital used Seca 1 so it was easy to open all the channels on a gold card for starters. There was a website which gave the codes out every few days.

:-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tell SKy you are an ex Virgin customer and you can get a cheap deal atm:

http://media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchive/2007/03/sky_launch_resc.php

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrMick said:

The FilmFour trick or OnDigital? :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Tell SKy you are an ex Virgin customer and you can get a cheap deal atm:

_http://media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchive/2007/03/sky_launch_resc.php

Soooo, what channels are they flogging then? there seems to be a lack of detail on sky's website, and if the pictures are anything to go by, it's just a bog standard basic £15 TV package.... :confused

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatfromSky
Freesat [Humax HDR 1000S]
Fta(9E/13E/19E/28E) [Fixed Triax TD88]
1.1M motorised satellite dish [unbranded]
My Location
UK
Or you could try the current £7.50/12 months(2 mixes),which is being offered.
Just say,you received the leaflet.
Code:
_http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/21742/sky-tv-from-7-50-per-month-for-12-m"]http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/21742/sky-tv-from-7-50-per-month-for-12-m

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satellite hobby said:
Or you could try the current £7.50/12 months(2 mixes),which is being offered.
Just say,you received the leaflet.
_http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/21742/sky-tv-from-7-50-per-month-for-12-m

Looks interesting, but it's my mum that has to be convinced, not me.... :D

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
isnt discovery channel on european sat?? i know i watch nat geo on euro sat, but i have sky full package but prefere it on euro because the programmin is on at more suitable times. and not just because of the time zones.

I dont particulary like discovery but then again i only like Air crash investigation and megastructures on nat geo..

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
isnt discovery channel on european sat?? i know i watch nat geo on euro sat, but i have sky full package but prefere it on euro because the programmin is on at more suitable times. and not just because of the time zones.

I dont particulary like discovery but then again i only like Air crash investigation and megastructures on nat geo..

Which sat would that be? :confused

I like discovery as I love watching Mythbusters, but I prefer the voiceover they have on Disc. than they have on BBC2, plus the BBC's repeats of it are heavily edited which bugs the hell out of me.... :D

rage99

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD-3000IP
Infinity USB Phoenix
T-Rex Supermodule 4.6
50" Pioneer Plasma HD
My Location
West Midlands
Discovery is FTA on 45E with english sound!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rage99 said:
Discovery is FTA on 45E with english sound!

Well, my mum has VirginTV now, so we have 24hr Discovery (rather than part-time like on TUTV), so we're sorted... :D

But, can I get 45E on my Porty dish? :D

rage99

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD-3000IP
Infinity USB Phoenix
T-Rex Supermodule 4.6
50" Pioneer Plasma HD
My Location
West Midlands
nothing under 80cm i think

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rage99 said:
nothing under 80cm i think

I was looking at Lyngsat Maps and Flysat's EIRP to Dish size chart and the European bean looks like it would work with about 60cm (may struggle with my porty dish, but it might just scrape it in.... :D ), just need permission from my mum to put up my porty dish on the window so I can have a looksee... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I finally had a go, but either it's pretending to be encrypted & my SL-65 won't show it, or it is encrypted again... :(