DiSEqC question

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Does a DiSEqc motor rase the dish on an arch when it travels West to East or East to West?

When I was moving my dish hard East manually I had to tip it up slightly or does this indicate the mount is not vertical?

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Having to tilt the dish up slightly may indicate that your pole/mountings or dish elevation or motor elevation may not be completely plumb or adjusted properly for the sweep of the arc.

Disecq motors don't elevate/tilt the dish in an up and down direction,they only move the dish from left to right and visa versa.

for example when the motor has driven the dish to 30 west or 45 east for example the dish will appear to be tilted left or right,the LNB arm will appear to be in an 8oclock or 4oclock position.

Thats the best way that I can describe it to you,hope it makes sense.
I'm noobie too....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As sat novice says, if you need to tilt the dish up on the outer satellites, then your arc is too severe, you need to reset the elevation on the motor body, what do you have it set at and where are you?

The DiseqC motor is designed to follow the arc perfectly, tilting the dish to match the horizon when set correctly.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I haven't fitted the motor yet these finding were with the dish mounted on a wall plate at ground level ( easier to test box!) but I did have to raise dish on some sats.

Suspected pole may not be true but as it was a test was not that concereved - just wondered if the motor moved the dish up and down slightly.

Hopefully the motor is on it's way from Germany as we communicate.

Thanks for your replys I am in Glasgow Scotland - on the outer limits!!!!

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
The rotating pole should have a bend in it. This is what causes the dish to tilt as it moves.

You have to setup the motor appropriate for your latitude, so that the rotational plane of the motor is parallel with the equator. ie. tipped backwards about 34 degrees. Then the dish will follow an arc across the sky tracking the line of the satellites.

It's difficult to visualise, but all will become clear after you've spent a week trying to align it.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Simba27 said:
It's difficult to visualise, but all will become clear after you've spent a week trying to align it.
LOL, never a truer word...

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
BGonaSTICK said:
LOL, never a truer word...

LOL....and thats after getting soaked to the skin and nearly blown off a bloody ladder!

maloo99

Reaction score
I have a question:

There are 2 things I can change to tilt the dish : one that moves the dish up and down, and one that moves the dish AND the motor up and down.

How do you know if the first one is good ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The setting on the motor itself is for elevation and should be either set to your lattitude (if there is a lattitude scale) or set at the calculated elevation for your lattitude, this figure can normally be found in the motor manual.

The setting of the elevation on the dish will give you the declination and will change the depth of the arc. This setting I normally make by panning for my due South satellite, moving the dish mount on the pole and the elevation of the dish, then locking up when sat is found.

Some good info here http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471