DiseqC versus 36v

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Nothing wrong at all with linear actuators (bordering on the irrational - purlease), as long as its not one of the micro versions (Superjack or anything with Mk3 on it) . These tend to wear quicker than they should due to steel components and underrated nylon cogs in the worm drive.

When setting up the outside kit, make sure you do not drive the dish more than the motor can handle, nor the arm more than the polarmount can handle.

If you need help then come back

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, didn't say that there is anything wrong with linear actuators, but that almost complete rejection of the DiseqC motor is not rational, as the build quality and performance is improving year on year. Yes they are not as sturdy as their 36v counterparts and probably not as fast in most cases, but they fill a useful slot in the marketplace and are very user friendly from an installation and operational standpoint, just don't put anything bigger than 90cm on them.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Ah, didn't say that there is anything wrong with linear actuators, but that almost complete rejection of the DiseqC motor is not rational, as the build quality and performance is improving year on year. Yes they are not as sturdy as their 36v counterparts and probably not as fast in most cases, but they fill a useful slot in the marketplace and are very user friendly from an installation and operational standpoint, just don't put anything bigger than 90cm on them.

If the receiver purchased has the ability to power a 36V motor then i would do that every time

If Photoman decides after a couple of days that the 88cm isnt big enough, then its less hassle to upgrade with all the hard work behind the dish already in place

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't disagree with that at all, but not all of the "best" receivers now have the ability to power a 36 volt motor and if 88cm is the practical limit from a planning or any other consideration, then a DiseqC motor would ft the bill. Add to that the fact that you are experienced at installing motorised dishes and the vast majority of our members aren't.

Not saying there is anything wrong with linear actuators or 36v motors (never did), just saying that to dismiss the DiseqC unit is short sighted and the growing popularity of the same must be more than part driven by suitability for the job and particularly their ease of installation.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Add to that the fact that you are experienced at installing motorised dishes and the vast majority of our members aren't.

DiSEqC 1.2 is classed as a motorised protocol, it just needs a bit of refining.

Besides Ive found on a number of branded receviers that the DiSEqC system somewhat difficult to set up when compared to the 36 volt options, especially when directing an end user over the phone when the dish has 'moved'.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Split this thread to save hijacking the other.

Like you, given the choice for myself, I would install the 36v motor (a few I would avoid), but for small dish installations and ease of installation, I still reckon that the DiseqC wins hands down. Yes, some of the menu structures on the receivers are not what you might call intuitive, but for a newbie who is prepared to read the manual, they are generally easier.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Worst one Ive seen for instructions was probably the Hyundau 1000, that probably put me off the rest.

What DiSEqC motor system comes top of your list ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that for ease of installation, the Moteck SG-2100, apparently designed by an ex Jaeger designer, so has similar features, but with the addition of USALS.

You can set hardware limits on it, you have East, west, set to zero and reset controls actually on the motor as well, so less trips up and down the ladder. :)

Weak points are obviously size limit on dish, but also the design means that with certain dish mounts, the end of the U bolts can foul the LNB "F" connectors on the motor body, had to hacksaw off the ends on one installation to stop it from fouling.

PS. Agree about the Hyundai, the menu system on the HSS800 is pretty naff as well. The Coship is one of the better ones.