Dish size in Southern Italy

symbolrate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD receiver in Liverpool and Manhattan Plaza SD receiver with similar in Italy and a generic SD in the MH, all with 80cm fixed dishes at the moment. Coming back to hobby now I am retired. Used to have a 1.2 Echostar dish/analogue receiver in 89
My Location
Liverpool UK/Scalea(CS) Italy
I am presently in Italy latitude 39° 49' N longitude 15° 47' E and can view 2B easily to get BBC News 24 and Sky News among some others on Eurobird1. I am aware that the footprint for 2D falls sharply at the north of Italy but cannot make a reasonable guestimate for a dish size for this part of the world. I have a 1.2m which I could easily transport next time I come down in my camper but suspect that would also be too small. I suppose the biggest I could fit in my space is 1.5m or at a big stretch maybe a 1.8. Would those be adequate as I do not want to invest £300 and then find it will not work!

Any help would be appreciated.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I believe you will need something well over 2.5m, judging by the various Footprints that are available (and are somewhat inconsistent!) and from previous reports.

However, local knowledge is key on the far flung fringes ...............

PS You aren't that much further South than our occasional watering hole at Santa Maria di Castellabate. (SWMBO knows the local Barone ........)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
there is no way you will ever pick this up.
you can pick up itv,e-4 and cone others using the sky uk box and adding this in the others.
but astra 2 d is no way.
you are 100 or so km south of me and we have a 4 meter dish here and can not pick this up at all.
the only way you can pick up bbc1 bcc2 itv 1 2 3. and a few others is to use the rebroadcasting service on 24.5 west.
its not free and i have tested it out and it is working.
it will not work on a 60 cm dish as they say in our area even though the map says 60 cm all europe ,because the signal reaches here at 50 dbwi it does no at all.i tested 3 types of lnb's and 60 cm and 85 cm dish and no way.
i am running this on a 1.25 meter dish and it is working.
if it rains hard it goes out but the box is mpeg -4 and it locks back in by it self.:)
hope this helps.
i can send you a message if you want more information.
hope this helps
ralph in naples:)

symbolrate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD receiver in Liverpool and Manhattan Plaza SD receiver with similar in Italy and a generic SD in the MH, all with 80cm fixed dishes at the moment. Coming back to hobby now I am retired. Used to have a 1.2 Echostar dish/analogue receiver in 89
My Location
Tivù said:
I believe you will need something well over 2.5m, judging by the various Footprints that are available (and are somewhat inconsistent!) and from previous reports.

However, local knowledge is key on the far flung fringes ...............

PS You aren't that much further South than our occasional watering hole at Santa Maria di Castellabate. (SWMBO knows the local Barone ........)

next time you we are both 'here', we must make contact and compare notes. I am determined to get back into this. I used to love my echostar analogue in those early days but had left the technology and now its a different world again. I should be here till end of Nov before we had back.

symbolrate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ralphmagno said:
hello,
there is no way you will ever pick this up.
you can pick up itv,e-4 and cone others using the sky uk box and adding this in the others.
but astra 2 d is no way.
you are 100 or so km south of me and we have a 4 meter dish here and can not pick this up at all.
the only way you can pick up bbc1 bcc2 itv 1 2 3. and a few others is to use the rebroadcasting service on 24.5 west.
its not free and i have tested it out and it is working.
it will not work on a 60 cm dish as they say in our area even though the map says 60 cm all europe ,because the signal reaches here at 50 dbwi it does no at all.i tested 3 types of lnb's and 60 cm and 85 cm dish and no way.
i am running this on a 1.25 meter dish and it is working.
if it rains hard it goes out but the box is mpeg -4 and it locks back in by it self.:)
hope this helps.
i can send you a message if you want more information.
hope this helps
ralph in naples:)

thanks a lot ralph for this, that is very useful although still think i will invest in a 1.5m next year. there seems to be quite a lot to get with a 1.5 from this part of the world. will drop you a pm with my email as well.