Does it Matter if my MM is a Fake?

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Hello,
I've just taken delivery of a magic module which I believe is version 1.03, however there is no version on the back, only the following number "AK41172". Also, there is no hologram that I can see. Is this likely to be a fake? and if so, is it likely to be any different to the genuine article? It has the Wizard sticker on the front, but this appears to be somewhat obscured by another white label. Should reputable dealers be shipping clones?

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Mystery solved, it seems Dream-Works no-longer make MM's and they are now being manufacturered in various other factories. Whether or not they have a hologram depends on which factory they come from, but inside it seems they are all the same.

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Shaun,

sorry I was a bit busy not checking the site for a while. I guess, the module you bought is one of those made in Taiwan. Dream Multimedia warned that those modules that have no 3D gologram are counterfeit, i.e. not made by them.
If I were you, I would only worry, if there were performance problems, compared to the "genuine article". Give it a go and report back your experiences.

Regards

Nickolai

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Nickolai,
It seems all 1.03 MM's are clones, the last genuine article was version 1.02. The only problem I have with my 1.03 MM is the occasional glitch in reception on my GbSat 2CI 0 receiver. Fellow GbSat owners have confirmed that these glitches (which are more apparent on Via Digital / Cabo) are caused by inferior hardware in version 1.03 of the MM. It seems 1.02 MM does not exhibit this problem. Penta 1.09 is a real problem for me as the glitches are frequent and the receiver takes several seconds to recover, but Penta 1.05 and 1.11 seem to work OK. In the end, I'm only interested in the Spanish Hispasat channels so I've opted for Penta 1.05 which I think works best with my receiver. I still get the occasional glitch, but they are so in-frequent and the receiver recovers so quickly then they really are not a problem. All in all, I'm very pleased with this magic module.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
regarding this fake or no fake issue.

i bet shaun bought it from a company in bristol.

I have a modified ver 1.04 from them all it gives me a lot of hassle. It just keeps reinitializing !

now if this is not the original version then I sure I stand a fighting chance in getting my money back from the cos I think they said in their 'what sattellite' advert that they are official suppliers of MM

css_jay99

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
css_jay99,
You're correct, I did buy my MM from a company in Bristol. Their magazine ad claimed they are the
Main Distributor "The MAGIC MODULE"
Of course they may be indeed be the main distributor for that particular brand of MM. When I purchased my MM, I assumed they were all made by Dream Multimedia, in fact the company in Bristol informed me that Dream Multimedia no-longer manufacture MM's. If I'd known this at the time I'd have been a bit more careful about where I bought my MM. If you ask me this is all a bit misleading to say the least. Anyway, the only problem I myself have is the occasional glitch in reception on 30W (which I can live with).
Good luck with your MM, although I doubt you'll get your money back. The company from Bristol seem to make a point of distancing themselves from the actual software that runs on the MM, and I'm sure they'll argue that different combinations of software and receivers work better than others. Let us know how you get on.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
by the way, how can i tell if i have an original magic cam, apart from the wizard picture on the front. I guess anyone can easily duplicate that

css_jay99

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
What do you mean by original?

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
well, i thought that there must be an original product made by dreamload .... OR is it a case of there beign a spec/blueprint free for anyone to make their own version of magicam.

some forums seem to mention stuff about fake magicams, so there must be an original

css_jay99

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
My understanding is that legal action was taken against the original MM manufacturers (Dream Multimedia) resulting in an injunction being served preventing them from manufacturing or selling MMs. So all new versions of the MM (i.e. 1.03 and 1.04) must be Dreamload compatible clones (unless Dream Multimedia are still distributing MMs through other channels that is).