Does size matter???

malnik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None...yet
My Location
Bedfordshire, UK
I live near, very near a forrest and i am told by the Sky man that i cant get Sky as the tall trees are too close. My neighbour, can get it, he has a Sky package. So it can't be to far out.
I have noticed that just around the corner is a house full of Lithuanians and they have a large dish that doesnt seem to be over the hip line of the roof...but get a signal from some sattelite, wrong direction to Sky.
My question is, if i got a bigger dish, will it pick up Sky signal rather than the normal Sky one ......

Mal

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Not if the trees are in the way no. You need to find somewhere on your property where you have an unobstructed view of the satellites.

The dish can go anywhere where theres a clear view, you arent restricted to mounting it on the house.

e-sky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OA-1600 SMW / PF 180cm petal dish
MTI LNB AP8-T2NRC
PACE 2500
My Location
Toreboda, Sweden
Just out of curiosity you should try aiming a lazar pointer light into the night sky from where you think the dish will be. If you have a compass you can also get a rough estimate in which direction the satellite is. The angle should be about 25°.

I had a few trees that was obstructing my clear view of the Astra satellites. I used this technique to identify which trees were the offenders and then tied a colour ribbon around them. Next day I went to my local counsel to get the trees cut down as they could damage my property if they fell in my direction.

The signal was passing thru the trees but on occasion you would get pixilation when the wind blew. A best case scenario is you can find an opening between 2 trees using this technique and position the dish accordingly. ;)