Does this Foxsat HDR need replaced?

Crystal21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Northern Ireland
It’s worked fine for many years but now I’m having some problems. The channels sometimes show as ‘scrambled’ or ‘poor signal’ when they aren’t really. If I flick over to another channel and back again it works fine. Sometimes it fails to record or won’t record 2 shows at once unless I’m watching one of those channels. I’ve checked the signal and it’s showing as 100% across all bars. The dish setup is old but the box itself is much older. Does anyone know if it’s more likely to be a problem with the dish or the box?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The older twin feed Freesat boxes will allow you to watch a channel from one multiplex, whilst recording another from a different multiplex and maybe two channels if they are on the same multiplex/transponder. some pictures of the recievr and the dish/LNB would probably be helpful. I've had cases where there was crosstalk on the LNB outputs, this caused no signal issues occasionally.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Disconnect all cable connectors and check for corrosion on the centre pins. Changing channels has the effect of pushing a different voltage down the line which can clean a path, but is only short term.

Crystal21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Northern Ireland
The dish is very high up so I can’t get photos of it. The cable connectors going into the box look ok to me but I’m clueless about these things. I can’t see any corrosion on them. I know I will probably have to get someone out to look at it eventually but I keep worrying that if I pay for a professional to call out and then it turns out there’s nothing he can do and the box just needs replaced, I’ll have wasted a lot of money.