Downloaded file added wrong opening program

Tore567

Reaction score
I downloaded a file using windows xp.. I couldn't open it, and choose WinRAR by mistake.. I think it needed "registry editor" to open it.. But I couldn't see this in the list to open programs.. What I'm hoping for now, is that someone can help me to undo what I did.. without using the "go back to another date feature" in XP. Really appreciate any advise!!! (Is it possible to place "Registry Editor" also in the list to open programs?
:confused

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
what was the file type (.ext) you downloaded??
opening a registry entry file will bring up a confirmation box to add entrys to the system registry.if you have done this erroniously your only recourse is to restore the system from a restore point prior to to this.
''''regedit only edits the current system registry,if you dont know exactly what you are doing,DON'T USE IT...''''
WINRAR will open compressed files with '.rar' file extensions
'boxnut'

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you right click on the file and click on properties, you can change which program is used to open the file. You can also go into control panel, Folder Options, File Types and change the rule there .

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
rolfw, it may be tore is just having dificulty opening the compressed file,
mor e specific info would be helpful at this point.
'boxnut'

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't think that's the case boxnut, at least not the way I read it, although I agree a little more detailed information would be helpful.

What I would say to Tore567, is that unless you know what you are doing, Registry editing is a potemtially dangerous process. What is the file you are trying to open and what is it supposed to do?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Just to add to rolfw's post, if you right click on the file, select open with, and choose program, then click browse you can open it with anything, and if you ensure the Always use ............. box is not ticked you will not associate that file until you wish to, the program chosen should then appear in your list.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
regedit is for editing the registry not for opening files. Do as Mickha suggests.

The content of your post is enough to say DON'T EDIT your registry!