Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
.dra is the official file extension of Dragon Cam modules, these are the only files that can be loaded onto the cam.
Try the Cam in your Cas 3, insert the Dragon Cam into the Cas programmer, you don't need the Dummy Card for this, start up the Cas Studio 8.6c software, click on the Utilities tab and the Common Interface Host icon, this should now display the contents of the Dragon Cam.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Thanks Mickha,
I am just going to try it now and will get back to you later to let you know how I got on.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,
I have just tried the cam the way you told me and it came up with predator 3.49, so I am just going to try loading the 3.69 the way you told me.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,
I have just tried loading predator 369 in to the cam and the cas 3+ keeps telling me that the dummy card is not inserted, even though it is. I checked with picture in the user guide and also with what you said in your previous post and it all looks okay. The cam still tells me that it has got predator 3.49-0809 installed, so it obviously hasn't written anything to the cam. Am I missing something obvious?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Ensure the 20 pin cable is connected properly, try switching the connections around, I had to do that with my Cas 3, also try pushing the Dummy card fully in.
Have you got it the correct way up? You should be looking at the 8 silver connectors, 2 rows of 4, and the 20 pin connection should be underneath, keep trying it should work.
Did you get a loader card with the Dragon Cam? As you can also program this to update your cam.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,
I have been playing with the cas 3 for some time now without success. I have tried pushing the dummy card all the way in as well as trying it out a tiny bit more each time and still no joy. When you say switch the connections around I take it you mean try the cable plugged up with the end that was on the dummy card on the cas3 instead, not try to plug either connector up the wrong way round.
I haven't got a loader card at present but I have put a bid in for one on ebay. When I try to program the cam I have a green led on near the card slot in the cas3 then as it starts tio initialise I get another green led going on and off near the cam slot and there is also a yellow led alonside that one that gives a sllight flicker just before the screen gives me a message that the dummy plug is not pushed in.
I am putting the cam in with the dragon label upwards and the dummy card in with the contacts upwards and the connector underneath. Could it be a fault on the cam contacts?

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,
I have definitely got the connectors on the dummy card the right way up and I have tried swapping the plugs around so that the end that was in the cas 3 is now in the dummy card but I just get the same result. I may have to wait until I get a loader card and try with that to try and prove if it is the cam or the cas3 which is giving the problem. I bought both items on ebay so it could be that one or other is no good but without having another dragon cam it is going to be difficult to prove which one is the problem. Could the problem be because it is a twin module>

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
There is no problem with the twin module but it could be a faulty Dummy Card, I seem to remember there being a problem with a few of them.
All I can suggest is that you keep trying as the Cas 3+ must be working to allow you to use the Common Interface Host option and enter the Dragon Cams menu.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,

I have tried and tried but nothing makes any difference I have tested all the components on the dummy card and they all seem to be okay. I may take a run down to Yeovil tomorrow and ask Skywise if they can test the cas 3 for me as their label is on the outside of the unit, so they might give me some help. I guess I should have bought one from a shop rather than off ebay, but you take things on trust that they are okay when you bid for them. I will let you know how I get on.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Were the Cam and Cas 3 bought as a package, or separate purchases?
There are 2 versions of cards that can program a dragon cam, a Funcard 7 (Prussian Card 5) and a PIC F84a Dragon loader card, if there is a problem with the Dummy Card it might be cheaper to buy a Funcard 7.
Hopefully the shop can test it for you and solve the problem.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Mickha,

The cas3 came with a diablo cam and it looks like the unit had never been used for programming anything using the dummy cam as there were no marks at all on any of the contacts before I started using it. The Dragon came came from a second auction on ebay, from a different seller. However, I now believe the problem is probably with the cas 3 rather than the cam, as I discovered on another forum that this is quite a common problem with the cas3+.

There were several other reports of the dummy card not working and from what I read I suspect it might be a problem with the software as I noticed someone running an earlier version of the software said that his unit was working okay.

I am still in the running for a loader card on ebay so we will see how that goes as the auction ends late tomorrow. If that fails, and I doubt it will, I will try to get an earlier version of the cas 3 software and try that. It would be nice if Duolabs would check out this problem and issue a software update to cure it if the software is the problem.

Thanks for all the help so far. In the meantime I tried updating the Diable 2.3 cam that I have got using the cas3+ did that in about five minutes flat, so it now has 182 software ibnstead of 181.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
I should add that as I saw that it was a common problem I didn't bother driving all the way to Yeovil as I thought it would be a waste of time and petrol.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
There was no need to update the software on your Diablo 2.3 cam, the last update was just to fix a few bugs using a subscription card.
I am still using Underworld 181 and can open Digi TV, 1W, and the Irdeto 2 encrypted Canal Digitaal channels on 19E.
Seeing as your Cas can program a Diablo Cam your Cas 3 is working, and I assume you're using the Cas Studio 8.6c software, equally as it can read you Dragon Cam, without the Dummy card, using the Common Interface Host option, then I still think the problem lies with the Dummy card.
You can pick up a new Fun Card 7 loader card for around £10, so don't bid too much on Ebay:)

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Thanks for that last piece of advice. I have only bid about a fiver so far so I will see how it goes.