Dreambox 1000

Patto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1000
My Location
Liverpool
Hello,

My sisters ex husband left an old Eagle 1000 box behind after they divorced. I've been wanting to have a little play about with it seen as I am a Linux user and have heard of some of the fun capabilities of the boxes.

He changed the root password during setup and I have no idea how I could go about resetting it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The easiest way to reset it is just to reflash the box with a new image. This will wipe out all pre existing settings.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
No relationship between a Dreambox and an Eagle box. Any box that is labeled Linux but doesn't have a Broadcom processor will only lead to disappointment.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
But if its basically a freebie who cares??? ;)

A nonymous

Reaction score
If its the one i think it is, its just a clone of the old Dreambox 500s.

It will be a Linux Enigma 1 box.

Nano

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Because the disappointment might make him give up the hobby before even getting started.

Analoguesat said:
Nowt wrong with E1 boxes :D
Except if they are clones.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
nano said:
If its the one i think it is, its just a clone of the old Dreambox 500s.

It will be a Linux Enigma 1 box.

Nano
I remember a statement you once made on an eagle box nano and I must agree with what you said, I am not sure if they have got any better but I would not have one given me if they are still the same.

my guess this box will be loaded with server info and the only way to get it back working is like A/S says re-flash the box.

Patto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1000
My Location
Liverpool
Ok so here comes the newb question.

How do I go about reflashing the box without being able to directly telnet into it?

Patto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1000
My Location
Liverpool
Analoguesat said:
I don't suppose you could tell me how to flash it without the root password could you?

I've been under the impression you would need the root pass before doing so.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Dreamup and a null modem cable. Your PC has to have a RS232 Com Port for it to work. The USB to serial converter simply don't work. Be prepared for a long wait as it can take up to 30 mins.

If you google IHAD you will find Dreamup and other useful software there after you have joined. Do not install any Gemini version newer than version 4.30 as they have a time bomb in the firmware which will brick the box.

Top be honest version 4.30 is stable as you like and is perfect for the box.

I remember a statement you once made on an eagle box nano and I must agree with what you said, I am not sure if they have got any better but I would not have one given me if they are still the same.
They are a waste of time with a motor, but for everything else they are just about OK. The only major weak point on these receivers is the PSU and the fact they won't drive a motor round.

Nano

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
nano said:
They are a waste of time with a motor, but for everything else they are just about OK. The only major weak point on these receivers is the PSU and the fact they won't drive a motor round.

Nano
it was something like that nano lol.

What you mean the one where i said they are sh*te
lol.gif

Biggest box of bo**ocks i have ever purchased, Even my TM9100 put it to shame and that was bad
shocked.gif

The Eagle box cannot power a motor correctly, end of story. I tried every image i could find with it and tried 2 motors with it. Neither worked correctly even though they were on the supposed ok list
sad.gif

Save your money and buy at least a DM600 clone, at least they work correctly
righton.gif

cheers.gif

Nano

Patto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1000
My Location
Liverpool
nano said:
Dreamup and a null modem cable. Your PC has to have a RS232 Com Port for it to work. The USB to serial converter simply don't work. Be prepared for a long wait as it can take up to 30 mins.

If you google IHAD you will find Dreamup and other useful software there after you have joined. Do not install any Gemini version newer than version 4.30 as they have a time bomb in the firmware which will brick the box.

Top be honest version 4.30 is stable as you like and is perfect for the box.

Nano

Cheers Nano, I have bought a USB to RS232 but didn't think it would work. I have an old notebook lying around that supports the connection so will order a cable from Ebay now and have a play with it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Once again thanks!

Patto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1000
My Location
Liverpool
Typical - Laptop doesn't have a COM port -.-

That = me screwed.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Patto said:
Typical - Laptop doesn't have a COM port -.- That = me screwed.
not so sure now days but you used to be able to buy an adaptor for laptops, try a google :-)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
There are lots of cables with clone chipset that dont work properly or only work in some PCs. You can buy a good one from WoS.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Huevos said:
There are lots of cables with clone chipset that dont work properly or only work in some PCs. You can buy a good one from WoS.
Agreed

I bought an el-cheapo rs232 to usb from one of the many pound shops on the high street and it refused to find the drivers on one PC (win7) and just wouldn't work on another (win xp)

A proper rs232 to usb or a PCIMA card like the one pictured (if your laptop supports it/has a slot for it) will do the job
PCMCIA-to-RS232-Card.jpg

Is there not an option in the menu to do a factory reset/wipe to take the box back to default settings without a flash?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
smoggy07 said:
Is there not an option in the menu to do a factory reset/wipe to take the box back to default settings without a flash?
Not sure with E1, Nano will know the answer, but reset just resets the image to default settings, there is no such thing as factory default (unless you are using the factory image, which is very unlikely).

A nonymous

Reaction score
Yes you can reset these boxes back to the way it was when the current image was installed. It will be in the menu under Factory reset. You will lose all your emus and configurations if you do this.

To be honest the standard factory image for this box is next to useless with no emu support.