Dreambox 500 S Nightmare, Please Help.

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
:)I am getting fedup with this stupid box,
I am using it with a "Stab HH100 Rotor with 1.10mtr solid Triax dish" and in London UK and with the latest Gemini Firmare Upgrade (As far as i am aware of) Via the Expert Setup / Internet Update and version 4.6 (20.12.2008) The problem is the motor moves sometimes and sometimes doesnt, so you never really know where it is sitting at, not only that, when i set the dish static it will be fine one minute and screwed the next.

Can anyone advice apart from the obvious stupid Dreambox 500S ?
Also what is the Best DVB-S or DVB-S2 PCI Card for the PC Windows 7 ?
It needs to be a very good DiSEqC Controller and be able to support card sharing etc.
Chears.

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
OK i know about Firmware and flashing etc.
(It doesnt apear to do much apart from loose all my settings.)
There seams to be loads of glitches and errors on the machine end.
ie i set up a setting for a transponder and it seams ok for a while then corrupts to a different number / setting.

How can i Hard Reset the Box and Start from Scratch.
(Not looking for a simple flash...
I sort of want to flash it back to the Stoneage)
Without using Rocks i hear your about to say!!!

I will shortly acidently sort of spill my beer over that great big ventilation thingy on the top of the box.

I appretiate any help guys

gerryl

Reaction score
there is a very good guide..

DreamBox 500 for Newbies 5.6
By Randandy

Well worth a read!...:toke:

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
Yeah, unfortunately the implememntation of Diseqc is not a standard or at least the interpretation may vary between vendors. A complete reflash would probably be your best bet

Carl97 said:
:)I am getting fedup with this stupid box,
I am using it with a "Stab HH100 Rotor with 1.10mtr solid Triax dish" and in London UK and with the latest Gemini Firmare Upgrade (As far as i am aware of) Via the Expert Setup / Internet Update and version 4.6 (20.12.2008) The problem is the motor moves sometimes and sometimes doesnt, so you never really know where it is sitting at, not only that, when i set the dish static it will be fine one minute and screwed the next.

Can anyone advice apart from the obvious stupid Dreambox 500S ?
Also what is the Best DVB-S or DVB-S2 PCI Card for the PC Windows 7 ?
It needs to be a very good DiSEqC Controller and be able to support card sharing etc.
Chears.

riccardo1959

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
problems with my eagle box
My Location
uk
i have a big problem with my eagle box.... before i touched i had gemini image for about 2 years.... then somebody told me to put in nabilosat... and was not good then i put wlg image and my eagle box is blocked..... they told me to flash a new image with eagle v 4 but it will not let me execute the flash because i cannot get the ip from my box... because is blocked.... when i restart i can see the WLG image but after nothing happen... everytime i try to flash the new image says FTP not connected..... please help me.... thanx in advance

riccardo1959

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
problems with my eagle box
My Location
uk
i have a big problem with my eagle box.... before i touched i had gemini image for about 2 years.... then somebody told me to put in nabilosat... and was not good then i put wlg image and my eagle box is blocked..... they told me to flash a new image with eagle v 4 but it will not let me execute the flash because i cannot get the ip from my box... because is blocked.... when i restart i can see the WLG image but after nothing happen... everytime i try to flash the new image says FTP not connected..... please help me.... thanx in advance

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
Thanks Guys,
But is there a way i can flash it completely
or with a different operating system version (Linux of course)
I Noticed at the official dreambox.de site there is a later flash
would this work or would it stuff up the box ?
Thanks again ;-)

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
Thanks Guys,
or with a different operating system version (Linux of course)
I Noticed at the official dreambox.de site there is a later flash
would this work or would it stuff up the box ?
Thanks again ;-)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Carl97 said:

Carl97 said:
When you flash your box, you are erasing everything in flash memory. This is similar to formatting your hard drive and installing a new operating system. There are no half measures.

As for operating systems / Images. There are plenty out there , Gemini (Not a good idea if your box is a clone), Nabilosat, Pli, ..... and more.

Flashing your box is unlikely to solve your problem.

Search the forum, you'll see that lots of people are having trouble with driving a motor with a DM500. Its down to poor hardware rather than software. It just doesn't put out enough juice to power the motor.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Carl97 said:

Carl97 said:
When you flash your box, you are erasing everything in flash memory. This is similar to formatting your hard drive and installing a new operating system. There are no half measures.

As for operating systems / Images. There are plenty out there , Gemini (Not a good idea if your box is a clone), Nabilosat, Pli, ..... and more.

Flashing your box is unlikely to solve your problem.

Search the forum, you'll see that lots of people are having trouble with driving a motor with a DM500. Its down to poor hardware rather than software. It just doesn't put out enough juice to power the motor.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are you using gotoXX to control the motor? It doesn't really work with a 500.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are you using gotoXX to control the motor? It doesn't really work with a 500.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The only way to resolve the motor problem on a DM500 is to throw it away and buy a better receiver :eek: Not what you want to hear i know but its the only way :-doh!

The DM500, Eagle box, & whatever other clone that is derived from it are notoriously bad at motor operation. Mine lasted about six weeks before it got binned O-no

If you want to reflash the box just use Dreamup and a null modem cable. Forget about flashing it over the network as its unreliable and has a tendency to fail :mad:

There is a modified Gemini 4.6 that has had the time bomb removed. Where you will find it escapes me at the moment but it shouldn't be to hard to find :cool:

If you want a cheap box that will run a motor get a Technomate TM500 or TM600 box. The old ABCom IPbox is also ok for motor operation :D

There are also modfied Gemini images that will run on the TMs and IPbox

:-beer

Nano

A nonymous

Reaction score
The only way to resolve the motor problem on a DM500 is to throw it away and buy a better receiver :eek: Not what you want to hear i know but its the only way :-doh!

The DM500, Eagle box, & whatever other clone that is derived from it are notoriously bad at motor operation. Mine lasted about six weeks before it got binned O-no

If you want to reflash the box just use Dreamup and a null modem cable. Forget about flashing it over the network as its unreliable and has a tendency to fail :mad:

There is a modified Gemini 4.6 that has had the time bomb removed. Where you will find it escapes me at the moment but it shouldn't be to hard to find :cool:

If you want a cheap box that will run a motor get a Technomate TM500 or TM600 box. The old ABCom IPbox is also ok for motor operation :D

There are also modfied Gemini images that will run on the TMs and IPbox

:-beer

Nano

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
Hmmmm, I am quite technical and understand what a flash does.
The problem is that i flash my DM500s and all the Satellite listings and menu settings remain!! So i would suggest its not a proper full flash !! or something really screwy is up with this box. I am not sure if my box is a clone but it is very likely, What image would you recommend i use other than Gemini ?

Anyway it was the first step and this dm box will be my DS Box shortly (Door Stopper) until its crushed. Thanks guys for all the Info ;-)

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
Hmmmm, I am quite technical and understand what a flash does.
The problem is that i flash my DM500s and all the Satellite listings and menu settings remain!! So i would suggest its not a proper full flash !! or something really screwy is up with this box. I am not sure if my box is a clone but it is very likely, What image would you recommend i use other than Gemini ?

Anyway it was the first step and this dm box will be my DS Box shortly (Door Stopper) until its crushed. Thanks guys for all the Info ;-)

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
No, No I know the gotoXX sucks but it does work on the Dreambox 500s.
Left my door open so hope someone robs it off me soon lol. (Sukker)

Carl97

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineer
My Location
London UK
No, No I know the gotoXX sucks but it does work on the Dreambox 500s.
Left my door open so hope someone robs it off me soon lol. (Sukker)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Carl97 said:
The problem is that i flash my DM500s and all the Satellite listings and menu settings remain!! So i would suggest its not a proper full flash !!
If the settings and favourite/bouquets are not being reset, then, it sounds like the box is not being flashed with a new image properly. If it had, you would have to go through the whole setup process again.

There is no such thing as "not a proper full flash !!". Either the memory has been erased and replaced, or it hasn't.

Anyway, none of the above has any bearing on you problem with driving a motor. As mentioned and confirmed before, its your hardware that's not up to it.

The best you could do would be to reduce the distance of your cable run, if you can. Otherwise look into upping the power from your tuner to your motor. Better again, bite the bullet and buy a receiver that can do the job properly. It'll save you a lot of hassle and time.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Carl97 said:
The problem is that i flash my DM500s and all the Satellite listings and menu settings remain!! So i would suggest its not a proper full flash !!
If the settings and favourite/bouquets are not being reset, then, it sounds like the box is not being flashed with a new image properly. If it had, you would have to go through the whole setup process again.

There is no such thing as "not a proper full flash !!". Either the memory has been erased and replaced, or it hasn't.

Anyway, none of the above has any bearing on you problem with driving a motor. As mentioned and confirmed before, its your hardware that's not up to it.

The best you could do would be to reduce the distance of your cable run, if you can. Otherwise look into upping the power from your tuner to your motor. Better again, bite the bullet and buy a receiver that can do the job properly. It'll save you a lot of hassle and time.