DreamBox 500HD vs Network Media Player

kefflar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Satellite Only PC
My Location
Poland
Hi to all,

I have Disk Station from Synology DS710+ where I store my DVD movies in ISO files. I was planning to buy Network Media Player but my friend told me about DreamBox. I've read a lot about it. It will be nice to have Satellite tuner and media player in one box. But I have doubts:
1. It is possible to play movies from NAS (DS710+) directly using LAN connection?
2. Can DM 500HD play movies in other formats such as: MKV, VIDEO_TS, BD iso, DIVIX?

I would be very tankful for all answers.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
The Dreambox will not be a full substitute for a media player - predominantly as it does not have enough processing power to render all the video formats. This is why some formats are rendered using a PC to stream to the Dreambox. Your Synology has the same problem, which is why it does not include a full media player. As a NAS device it is better to be energy efficient(SYnology) and I guess the same applies to the Dreambox as it is on all the time.

kefflar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Satellite Only PC
My Location
Poland
Thanks for Your reply. Last week I read a lot about the dreambox and finaly decided to buy Network Media Player. It should be better than DreamBox for this what I want to use it.