dreambox 500s and vodafone dongle windows 7

westhamessex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1metre dish, dreambox 500s,tm 5400ci
My Location
essex
hi all, 1 metre dish fixwed on 13 east, no incoming broadband, but have wireless vodafone dongle, 2 home plugs.
originally i thought that, set up internet sharing through windows 7, receive wireless signal through payg vodafone dongle, connect ethernet cable out of dell pc to dm 500, and this would work.
unfortunately dreambox control centre only supports routers,so my pc has an ip, dm500 has an ip, but dongle has no facility in dcc, to assign an ip adress, so only getting red line between dm box and pc, when it should be green.

am i resigned to 2 options here, a hard wired bt infinity router( apparently up to 40mb the faster the better i thought) on a contract or i've heard of 3g wireless router, which dongle goes in, ( which would be the best one, as i've heard not all 3g routers are compatible with dreamboxes, and last but not least,would a wifi bridge work with just a dongle, i can't see it meself as we're back to the problem that dcc doesn't support anything apart from a router in the control center,i've had a look through the idiots guide on this and i'm assuming it can't be done unless its through a hard wired contract router or a wireless 3g one??

any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks..:)

westhamessex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1metre dish, dreambox 500s,tm 5400ci
My Location
essex
i'm assuming this site is hardly used anymore, or no one has my antique type of box so will look elsewheere, thanks for letting me post here admins.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
westhamessex said:
i'm assuming this site is hardly used anymore, or no one has my antique type of box so will look elsewheere, thanks for letting me post here admins.

Your assumption is totally incorrect we have an active forum here, and if you would care to take the time to look around the relevant forum you would find a great many recent posts on the subject but you have to read them, we don't have to re-invent the wheel with every newbie. Most people use the easier route of ordinary broadband and as you said the 500s is ancient history and I doubt a 3g network would be fast enough anyhow

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
And to add to what Topper says above, it is also peak holiday season, so forum visits from members are less frequent, less than a day is not long enough for those who may have answers (who will also be in the minority) to see your post.