Dreambox Installation preferance questions

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
am thinking of setting up a cs for family sometime in new year. now i have read plenty and understand most but what i would like to know is members preferances for

1. router (at the minute i have a fritzbox but its on the blink. would like another fritz because its excellent for voip)

2. dish (seen plenty on flebay want a fixed model for sky uk. whats a good sturdy make mines will be going on the chimmey. also how small can i get away with am in belfast)

3. lnb (whats a decent one am going to use an old pc as a server so would probebly need multiple connections.)

4. cable (seen plenty on ebay but who knows what crap they would send you where is a good online or otherwise trader and what should i expect to pay per meter.)

5. meters ( i understand i can point the dish in the general direction but would most likely need a meter for accuracy have seen plenty of cheap ones on the bay but are they any good.)

would like Hd but not fussed about the pvr option but for cost will probebly start off with a dreambox 500s or swap out the tuner on an itgate cable box i have.

thanks for looking

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
am thinking of setting up a cs for family sometime in new year. now i have read plenty and understand most but what i would like to know is members preferances for

1. router (at the minute i have a fritzbox but its on the blink. would like another fritz because its excellent for voip)

2. dish (seen plenty on flebay want a fixed model for sky uk. whats a good sturdy make mines will be going on the chimmey. also how small can i get away with am in belfast)

3. lnb (whats a decent one am going to use an old pc as a server so would probebly need multiple connections.)

4. cable (seen plenty on ebay but who knows what crap they would send you where is a good online or otherwise trader and what should i expect to pay per meter.)

5. meters ( i understand i can point the dish in the general direction but would most likely need a meter for accuracy have seen plenty of cheap ones on the bay but are they any good.)

would like Hd but not fussed about the pvr option but for cost will probebly start off with a dreambox 500s or swap out the tuner on an itgate cable box i have.

thanks for looking

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
1. Netgear gigabit , wired lan.
2. Use a standard sky dish, nothing wrong with em.
3. Mti blueline.
4. CT100
5. I only ever used a crappy £10 moving coil / beeper meter.
6. 500 is a VERY basic box, any of the Enigma2 based boxes are far far better.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
1. Netgear gigabit , wired lan.
2. Use a standard sky dish, nothing wrong with em.
3. Mti blueline.
4. CT100
5. I only ever used a crappy £10 moving coil / beeper meter.
6. 500 is a VERY basic box, any of the Enigma2 based boxes are far far better.

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
cheers bigmac

good replys just what i was looking for.

one question i was under the impression that the 500 would take enigma 2 seems from your reply it dont could you tell me which dreamboxes take enigma 2

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
cheers bigmac

good replys just what i was looking for.

one question i was under the impression that the 500 would take enigma 2 seems from your reply it dont could you tell me which dreamboxes take enigma 2

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
There may be some modified images capable of running on ppc hardware but you're asking for trouble.
PowerPC , enigma1 boxes are 500,600,7020 and the very old 7000
Mipsel , enigma2 boxes are 800, 7025, 8000

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
There may be some modified images capable of running on ppc hardware but you're asking for trouble.
PowerPC , enigma1 boxes are 500,600,7020 and the very old 7000
Mipsel , enigma2 boxes are 800, 7025, 8000

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I wouldn't even bother with trying one of the modded E2 images for the DM500. I tried one on my DM600 and it was a disaster. Its just not up to the job of running E2.

The DM600 is a much better box than the DM500 and is not that much more expesive. If you get the DM600, you'll at least be able to drive a motor if you decided to go down that route in the future. Also, its a PVR capable box.

I agree with B16MCC's suggestions for the rest of your equipment. As long as you have a good stable router, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The amount of data sent and received with CS is really not much. You wont be placing any huge load on the router.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I wouldn't even bother with trying one of the modded E2 images for the DM500. I tried one on my DM600 and it was a disaster. Its just not up to the job of running E2.

The DM600 is a much better box than the DM500 and is not that much more expesive. If you get the DM600, you'll at least be able to drive a motor if you decided to go down that route in the future. Also, its a PVR capable box.

I agree with B16MCC's suggestions for the rest of your equipment. As long as you have a good stable router, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The amount of data sent and received with CS is really not much. You wont be placing any huge load on the router.

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
cheers guys great stuff now compufunk you have just reminded me of a couple of other questions regarding bandwith. im on 20 meg broadband i know the data sent is small and i also have read from BM that a pc server can handel a lot more data than any dreambox but what would a comfortable number of shares be 10 or 20 all on hoop1 and no further unless we end up doing a share with another server but that would be down the road.

one other question i find it hard to believe that if someone is on hoop one from say my server that its not possible to somehow over-ride the restrictions i mean we are not dealing with a bank here or sky media i havnt read anything about this being done but what do i know

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
cheers guys great stuff now compufunk you have just reminded me of a couple of other questions regarding bandwith. im on 20 meg broadband i know the data sent is small and i also have read from BM that a pc server can handel a lot more data than any dreambox but what would a comfortable number of shares be 10 or 20 all on hoop1 and no further unless we end up doing a share with another server but that would be down the road.

one other question i find it hard to believe that if someone is on hoop one from say my server that its not possible to somehow over-ride the restrictions i mean we are not dealing with a bank here or sky media i havnt read anything about this being done but what do i know

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
dogsballs said:
one other question i find it hard to believe that if someone is on hoop one from say my server that its not possible to somehow over-ride the restrictions i mean we are not dealing with a bank here or sky media i haven't read anything about this being done but what do i know
LOL, No you are not dealing with the bank or sky, but you are dealing with software developers who know how to get around skys encryption (To a certain extent).

I've not read of any simple way of resharing your restricted hops, but I'm sure there probably is a way. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

10 to 20 peers connected to a Dreambox Server should be fine.

Its your upload speed that will be of most importance to your peers, but with a 20Mb download, I'm sure the upload bandwidth should be fine.

Start off simple, you can always set up a PC Server at a later date if your feel the need to.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
dogsballs said:
one other question i find it hard to believe that if someone is on hoop one from say my server that its not possible to somehow over-ride the restrictions i mean we are not dealing with a bank here or sky media i haven't read anything about this being done but what do i know
LOL, No you are not dealing with the bank or sky, but you are dealing with software developers who know how to get around skys encryption (To a certain extent).

I've not read of any simple way of resharing your restricted hops, but I'm sure there probably is a way. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

10 to 20 peers connected to a Dreambox Server should be fine.

Its your upload speed that will be of most importance to your peers, but with a 20Mb download, I'm sure the upload bandwidth should be fine.

Start off simple, you can always set up a PC Server at a later date if your feel the need to.

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
thanks mate starting off simple is probebly the right move as you say i can always upgrade

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
thanks mate starting off simple is probebly the right move as you say i can always upgrade

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I forgot to mention one important thing. CS for Sky Uk is working now, but nobody knows whether or not that will still be the case once the card swap is complete.

I would advise you don't ask your family to invest in CS capable receivers until its a bit more clear what's going to happen post swap. Otherwise, they might be after your scalp instead of praising your efforts.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I forgot to mention one important thing. CS for Sky Uk is working now, but nobody knows whether or not that will still be the case once the card swap is complete.

I would advise you don't ask your family to invest in CS capable receivers until its a bit more clear what's going to happen post swap. Otherwise, they might be after your scalp instead of praising your efforts.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Just a point about your dish m8, you say you are going to mount on the chimney.

Chimneys aren't the strongest structures in the house, and being so exposed can deteriorate quite quickly. A zone1 minidish should be ok, but I personally won't mount anything larger to a chimney stack, and always try to persuade the customer to have the dish on a wall.

If you are going to fix to the chimney, use a lashing kit rather than drilling bolts into the brickwork.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Just a point about your dish m8, you say you are going to mount on the chimney.

Chimneys aren't the strongest structures in the house, and being so exposed can deteriorate quite quickly. A zone1 minidish should be ok, but I personally won't mount anything larger to a chimney stack, and always try to persuade the customer to have the dish on a wall.

If you are going to fix to the chimney, use a lashing kit rather than drilling bolts into the brickwork.